Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled buffet furniture

craftyhopper
Making a Splash

Upcycled buffet furniture

F78CB12C-3A53-43D9-9053-B1AD62B9E828.jpeg

0A6988FC-4214-4945-A8D1-2B1617A86656.jpeg

CA9F6FC8-55CC-415A-8091-94D4AE191A4C.jpeg

AAD49BB4-811A-47F8-AA6F-8DE8030472A4.jpeg

  

C5DD4C02-3738-4B02-A28D-A362E538D0A7.jpeg

A neighbour was throwing this out, so I got it for free!
The draws looked like a sad face ☹️ so I covered them with ply for a flush look
Took some heavy sandpaper to get off the varnish
Already had the Porter’s Paint and just bought some new handles. 
All up I think it cost around $80!

▪️Porter’s Paint - Yacht Race

▪️Cabots Cabothane Clear for top

▪️Brass Shell Cup Handle Pulls

▪️3mm Plywood Panel

▪️Liquid Nails

Re: Upcycled buffet furniture

Thanks for joining in the discussion @lellodo81. It's fantastic to have you join us.

Let me tag @craftyhopper for you to see if they might like to share their thoughts about how they would tackle your kitchen hutch project. I'm sure the likes of @MitchellMc, @Peggers and @redracer01 would also be happy to help.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing how you can transform this piece of furniture. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @lellodo81 

thats going to be a great project! Can’t wait to see it all finished. 
If you like the distressed look you might want to paint it white first, then a colour and use sand paper to take off the top layer and bring the white through.
I’d use a chalk paint for this project.Rust-Oleum have a good one. 

HamideR
Finding My Feet

This looks amazing! 

@MitchellMc I have a future project I'm just getting my head around. I want to repaint a dresser that's currently a dark brown laminate - so hard sanding is not an option. I was going to use a Zinsser primer to stop the colour bleeding. Should I maybe do a coat of this Dulux precision max adhesion primer first and then the Zinsser primer coats? The end colour that I want is white. 

Welcome @DIYdisaster,

Mitchell is away at the moment following the birth of his son, but our other resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to help when he's back on the site tomorrow.

Upcycling enthusiasts @craftyhopper and @DanaR may also want to share their thoughts.

Stevie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYdisaster

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your proposed upcycle project.

I understand your idea of using the Dulux 1L White Precision Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer. It is a very good plan as the Dulux Primer will be ideal to use on the unsanded surface of the furniture. The Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker will provide stain blocking and give you a neutral surface to paint over. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the furniture to give us a better idea of its current condition. This will allow our members to see it and provide a more informed recommendation. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the start of your project.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Kirsty3
Getting Established

Love this, great work @craftyhopper!

I've been wanting to do something similar to my buffet but I've been wanting to paint it a charcoal grey colour do you think this will look ok?

@Kirsty3 

I think it would look great! Seen lots of great colour combinations used. Would love to see how you get on 😊

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kirsty3. It's fabulous that you've decided to join us, and I'm pleased to see that you've taken inspiration from this project.

Like @craftyhopper, I'd be really keen to follow along with your project and see the results. It would be amazing if you started a discussion to document your project, as I trust our other members would like to follow along too. We all love a good before and after transformation! 

Please let us know if you need any assistance, as we're all here to help.

Mitchell

Thankyou for your kind words & offer of support if needed @MitchellMc 

Kirsty

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects