Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled coffee table: Brunette to blonde

susandiy
Growing in Experience

Upcycled coffee table: Brunette to blonde

My coffee table was dark and dated! Time for a transformation using my array of electric sanders and now it looks new and fresh!

Materials

Ozito electric sanders

Timber Protect by British Paints One Coat Clear in Satin, water based. 
Ozito sanding pads

Tools

Ozito sanders, 3in1, Bench sander, detail sander & my new amazing file sander. 

Steps

Step 1

Removed hardware and drawers 

removed dark finish by electric sanders

hand sanded a lot!

Filled and cracks

smooth sanded the whole piece

cleaned down to remove any dust

Applied clear coat x 2

Added new handles

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Brunette to Blonde ~ Coffee Table Transformation

Hello @susandiy 

You are really getting very good at these blond transformations! The finish looks amazing, how long did it take to sand all the old stain off? 

Thank you for sharing such a fantastic project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled coffee table: Brunette to blonde

Congratulations on this beautiful upcycle, @susandiy. You've done a great job in completely transforming your table. It will match your blonde cabinet so well. Have you dabbled in any other D.I.Y. projects over the past year? 

As you may know, we're currently running a project search to find Australia's best D.I.Y. projects. This upcycling project would make a great entry so I've taken the liberty of submitting it for you.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Akanksha 

susandiy
Growing in Experience

Good morning Akanksha,

thank you so much for taking the time to view my diy project and submitting my coffee table for DIY July 2023 you can check out what I’ve been up to at Sd.crayonCreations my Fb hobby page I also completed a curb side find this year! It was a beautiful lingerie chest with a secret jewelry compartment. I’m a volunteer at Salvos and also love Upcycling home decor pieces I find as well. I transformed a huge dated Ginger Jar recently using plaster & paint in white for a crisp modern look. 

IMG_5414.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Such a lovely transformation of that ginger jar, @susandiy. You nailed the crisp, modern look. 

You've definitely got an eye for seeing the hidden potential in dated items and repurposing them. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work shared on Workshop. I'm sure our members would find your projects inspiring and would love to learn more about your upcycling techniques and any tips or advice you can share. 

Great work once again. 

Akanksha 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects