Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycling a baby change table

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Upcycling a baby change table

My babies have grown so I decided to upcycle their old change table with draws to a centre piece. I recycled old Venetian wooden blinds to create the herringbone pattern. 

A9C648E0-EC78-4663-8E30-D6E5BDD7599B.jpeg

B75A48F9-03E9-4B99-9C19-EC6B79A8433A.jpeg

FDEABBCD-E1AA-4AD4-A8DA-BF49E389251E.jpeg

 Materials used:

ESP surface prep 

Easy coat semi gloss paint 

Wagner spray gun  

T handles 4 pack  

Wood glue 

Recycled wooden blinds 

I cut the top of the change table leaving just the cabinet. I sanded the top to blend in my cut marks. The draws were sanded and the under side of the slats to get a good bond when I applied the glue. 
I cut the slats approx 150mm and marked a centre line on each draw. I glued the cut slats in a herringbone pattern. I placed a board on top with weights to get a good bond.  

original change table below

C918FCB0-EBF1-432F-9DB9-2558503DD62E.jpeg

B75DCB58-37C8-46EB-9671-8D3573E9ADD5.jpeg

122EA0E0-BE27-46C2-89FF-E85FEBD0B929.jpeg

4150EC10-5105-45F9-80A0-CE6B7BDE3D30.jpeg

 Once the glue was dried, I flush cut the over hang and sanded it flush to the original draws. I left some original stain on the slats as I wanted more of a rustic look. 

The frame of the draws I used ESP rather than sanding the entire thing. I sprayed the frame with my Wagner spray gun, for a total of 3 coats. I sanded on the second coat with very fine sand paper. 

The handles were drilled in and now the kids aren’t getting their draws back!!! 

moodybyname78
Cultivating a Following

Re: Upcycling a baby change table

@sandy_d all I can say is WOW!!! You’ve given me great ideas. Who would have thought old Venetian blinds? I’ll be keeping my eye open for them on verge collection to use on future projects.. 

@moodybyname78 @I’m so glad I inspired you. No doubt you’ll come across some soon! I upcycled another tall boy with Venetian blinds on my profile if you’re looking for some more ideas 😊

moodybyname78
Cultivating a Following

Yes I saw that one as well.. love the contrast against the black. I up cycled a entertainment unit and used Tasmanian oak laid in a herringbone pattern for the door inserts and top. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects