Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to build a pallet bed?

tamaralee
Just Starting Out

What is the best way to build a pallet bed?

I am wanting to build a pallet bed for my bedroom and I am mainly wanting to know the best way of actually joining the pallets together (or whether it’s better not to join them, or the best way to join them so that it can be taken a part for moving purposes). I am also wondering the best way of attaching a bed head to the pallets that will hold the mattress. At the moment i’m thinking of using 2 by 2 pallets, with another 4 on top of those, then using two pallets for the bed head. I am also wondering what tools/nails etc that I should use. Let me know your ideas, especially if you’ve done this build before!

Thanks!

Tamara 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best way to build a pallet bed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tamaralee. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a pallet bed.

I'd suggest that the best way to join the pallets together would be with mending plates. You'll be able to fix them in positions that can't be seen from the outside. Alternatively, you can use bugle timber screws and screw the pallet sides together.

I'd encourage you to do something a little bit special with the bed head, as building the entire bed structure from pallets can miss the mark aesthetically wise. I suggest cladding the front of the bedhead with various coloured pallet boards. You can get these from several pallets and mix-n-match them. Make sure to give them a good sand so they're smooth, and you might even like to apply a different stain or finish to each board.

I've created a few renderings for you below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I can't wait to see your finished project.

Mitchell

Mendpallet.pngPalletbed1.pngPalletbed2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects