Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

3 x 4m gable pergola

Jimi
Making a Splash

3 x 4m gable pergola

I decided it was time to extend my alfresco and build a Pergola. I did a lot of research for this one and found the most efficient way to do it, was to use Softwoods through Bunnings. I was sceptical but it turned out great and we were very happy with it. As long as all your measurements are correct and you know what you want, Softwoods then send the majority pre-cut and ready to paint and assemble. There is quite a bit of work involved and I knew I wanted to add my own modifications, but now there are less restrictions on entertaining in any kind of weather.

IMG_20211127_102804.jpgIMG_20200527_162713.jpgIMG_20211127_102920.jpgIMG_20211127_103012.jpgIMG_20211127_103207.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 3 x 4m Gable Pergola

That looks amazing @Jimi! Congratulations on a job well done.

I'll have to admit I'm not entirely familiar with our off-range Special Ordered Softwoods pergolas. After seeing how splendid they've worked out for you, I'll be sure to recommend them in the future.

What were your modifications, if you don't mind me asking?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Brilliant result. Thanks so much for sharing @Jimi. This is bound to be super inspiring to many community members. 

Love your work.

Jason

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

That looks terrific! Great job 👏 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

You have a very nice property. Well done! :smile:

Thanks Mitchell.

The Softwoods plans/design were surprisingly very good and I honestly would recommend using them.

The modifications to the standard design that I chose to make included:

- Connecting pergola gutter to house existing gutter/downpipe

- Post alignment with the house/deck and include an 'eave'

- Joining existing posts

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jimi 

That's a really impressive build and it looks fantastic. How long did the entire structure take you to build? Did you have a hand or was it a one-man operation? If you were to do it again what would you have done differently? Any tips or advice you can pass on to our members thinking of building the same project would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for sharing such an amazing Gable Pergola.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

What type of brackets are these?

Fascia.PNG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 3 x 4m gable pergola

Hi @Noyade

Let me tag @Jimi so that they are made aware of your question. I saw those brackets as well and was curious to know how it fits into the overall scheme of things. 

Eric

Jimi
Making a Splash

Hi @Noyade,

They are Rafter Stiffener Brackets. Basically they cut through the house fascia and connect to the rafters of the house.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects