Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach small pergola to metal fascia

j_nilesh
Finding My Feet

How to attach small pergola to metal fascia

Hi All , I am planning to build small pergola to the side of my alfresco. Just wondering "How to attach small pergola to metal fascia"

Bunning video talks about the wood fascia to attach walling plate but what about metal fascia. As i understand i need to screw the plate with the roof rafters. But question is to locate the roof rafters behind the metal fascia?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach small pergola to metal fascia

Hi @judoman09

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Are you currently planning on making your own pergola? Should you happen to have any questions about your project, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information. I recommend reading this featured project - Backyard covered patio with low-level deck by @tom_builds. There is a very good picture there of how the rafters are arranged inside your roof. 

Here are some fantastic pergola projects our Workshop members have shared.

We look forward to seeing the start of your pergola project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, thank you.  I am actually looking at making an awning, such as to go over this scooter.  It seems to me like it should be a simple thing to attach 1m of  colorbond steel off the end of the roof, out from under the gutter.  I was surprised to not find some sort of steel bracket solution (like for a shelf) coming off the wall.  Seems the normal practice is to use a post down to the ground?

.  possible awning.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @judoman09

Thank you for responding back so quickly.  The Dunnings 22° Galvanised Extended Fascia Bracket should be ideal for your project. This is on the condition that you mount it to the rafters of your roof. It should be strong enough for you to build your covered area.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

trentp
Getting Established

842787DF-E422-44EC-AF54-C0CA98C1151A.jpeg4E48B6F1-29F3-41E2-B505-808F4FB5432F.jpegB873B3FA-0CE5-43A8-8519-818E462AC1A1.jpeg4630B05D-99F9-4DE0-B7D2-B924E233D7AB.jpeg61EF8FE2-9D16-4BDD-9658-9BE74AB4B145.jpeg753151DC-3972-4A49-ACEA-1234ADBE8775.jpegGday fellas, 

Here you go. As you can see pretty intense set up for getting the beam up but was working by myself. 

Attached some photos of the finished product too. 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Wonderful, thanks so much for sharing @trentp.

Let us know how you go and if you need any help along the way @j_nilesh and @judoman09.

Stevie

I'm looking at putting in eyelets for a vine...are you saying that I have to take it apart to find studs?

I'd have to get the power disconnected!!? Taken down, then remove the gutter, then the flashing...ridiculous. there has to be an easier way

20220516_115555.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wolf. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

This discussion is about connecting a pergola to a house. Any structure connecting to a house needs to comply with building codes, and the reason for needing to remove the fascia is to locate the structural members. You're not looking to connect a large structure to a house, so the advice presented here isn't particularly relevant.

On what sort of scale would you like to grow this vine? If it's only a smaller vine, then you could likely get away with connecting the lines directly to the fascia. However, the fascia is not designed to bear weight, so I wouldn't go growing a giant vine. 

Behind the fascia on a timber-framed house, there will be timber, and you might be able to reach it with long screws. Your best bet might be to screw a length of timber onto the front of the fascia, fixing it in several locations to the timber behind. This will allow you to position your eyelet screws where you wish. It will future-proof your installation if your vine grows quite large, and you'll have confidence in knowing the fascia board won't be pulled off the house by its weight.

Alternatively, if you look at your eave boards, you might see rows of clout nails. These indicate the positions of timber behind, and you could fix your eyelets directly into them and just behind the fascia. Or, if those positions don't suit, attach the timber mentioned previously across the area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Hi I'm planning to do the same but wanted to know what timber size should I use to on the surrounding of the fascia aluminium sheet when using the extended fascia bracket (friend of the pergola)?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @calccom21. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about extended fascia brackets.

The size of timber you'll be fastening to the brackets depends on the size of the pergola and how much weight the timber is bearing. The same rules apply to building a gazebo or standalone structure. The timber is essentially one side of the structure and must be capable of supporting the weight of the rafters and roofing.

For a smaller-sized pergola, you might be looking at something like 138 x 42mm 3.6m F7 H3 Treated Pine Primed LOSP, or for something of a larger size, 185 x 42mm 3.6m F7 H3 Treated Pine Primed LOSP. As mentioned, it comes down to how you design the pergola. I suggest you start planning the pergola like a standalone structure. Timber span tables and the size of the pergola will determine the correct timber to use.

If you can show us some drawings of the pergola you intend to build, then I trust our helpful members will have more advice for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Hi.. thanks for the info.  As I'm new in this, I'm planning circa 2mx3m. Photo attached.all 3 angle have fascia to support. Any idea which one I should be using? I'm planning to do the v shape roof not flat

IMG_20220817_162725.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects