Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

kylevuong
Just Starting Out

How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

Hi guys, I'm first time user here. 

During the lock down my local gym was closed and so as the playground. Therefore I would like to ask about building a simple pull up bar for outdoor use. It looks pretty simple and I think I can do it myself however I'm not sure if I can get all the materials at Bunnings? 

Basically I will need:

2 x 2.7-3 metre wooden post

1 x 2 metre solid steel bar (34-35mm diameter)

Concrete mix

Can you guys let me know if I can have the posts and solid steel bar at Bunnings at these specs? and is there anything else I need to notice before building one? Thanks a lot for your help and stay safe everyone.

119340576_4999584756733651_5176742807624330078_n.jpg

markh1
Growing in Experience

Re: How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

Sounds right even with concrete supports?

Will photograph everything once I get it all together. 

Poles arrived from southside fitness.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Placing 1/3 in the ground will ensure you have a solid post @markh1

Is this going to be purely a pull-up bar? Kipping pull-ups or any swinging on the bar will constantly compress the soil on either side of the foundation. Once the soil becomes compressed, the pole will start to wobble. The more pole you have in the ground, the less likely the soil will overly compress. Instead of going so deep, the other option is to place angled supports at the base, which are driven into the ground.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @markh1 

Just curious, and a bit late now - but did you at any point consider a foldable pull-up bar ? Maybe unstable on the lawn/backyard?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

That's a very interesting suggestion, it would be quite handy if you were renting. You can simply take it apart and take it with you wherever you go. I suppose you just need to make sure that the area you are setting it up on is level.

Eric

markh1
Growing in Experience

I wanted to fill the house with monkey bars.  But captain no fun stopped me.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hahaha monkey bar house does sound like it would be awesome @markh1. Definitely looking forward to seeing your pull-up bar when completed. 

Katie

markh1
Growing in Experience

Waiting on Bunnings to deliver wood poles.  Ordered Friday morning, got 12bolts to secure bars and 4 Frankenstein bolts for concrete footing.

2 bags of concrete.

markh1
Growing in Experience

As promised some pics.

Each pole took 4 bags of concrete.  We ...I dug both holes out for the starting supports.  both 50cm's deep just shy of 1/3rd of the poles height.  We drilled 4 pins into each pole at odd angles for extra foundational support.  Both holes are overkill.  I wasn't interested in doing the math. So overkill hopefully I'm dead before these need to be removed so my sons can have one last winge about me muahahaha.  

Bagged all the dirt for the compost bin.Bagged all the dirt for the compost bin.PXL_20220827_225433367.jpgPXL_20220827_225436324.jpgIs a hole...?Is a hole...?PXL_20220827_225456176.jpgscrew supports.screw supports.Concrete got everywhere...Concrete got everywhere...Mixing Concrete on a Sunday like men.Mixing Concrete on a Sunday like men.Foremen took there spots.Foremen took there spots.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @markh1

Thank you so much for posting those photos of your pull-up bar assembly. That metal pull-up bar looks serious and those 90x90 posts should last you quite a while. If you paint the posts that will serve as the icing on the overkill cake.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Well done sir! 😊

Happy bicep/tricep or whatever 'cep you're working on.

Thanks for the photos!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects