Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a new house from scratch

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

Building a new house from scratch

Well here goes, as suggested by Jason and Isobel, I'm starting a discussion/gallery of our dream home.

I've posted a few photo's of the build process and I'm happy to continue to include photo's of other stages of our build if anyone is interested in a particular process and perhaps how we went about doing it, given the entire home so far has been built by just the brains of the outfit, hubby and the site manager, myself ha-ha

I drew up the plans to scale and then sent them off to be professionally drawn up by an architect.

The home we are building is in Victoria, about 45km west of Geelong. It is approx 30 sqrs including an indoor pool. The cladding is Mt Gambier limestone blocks.

First photo shows the pool hole being dug, something that had to be done well before much else could be done with the construction.

Second photo shows standard clay bricks used to build up the foundations to the required height for both the house and veranda.

We decided early on, that we would not have timber veranda's for maintenence reasons, so the 3rd picture shows 90mm poly pipe at 5mtr intervals for ventilation under the home.

Fourth pic shows the stumps and we used LVL bearers that were 6mtrs long and the 5th photo shows the LVL's that were 12.5 mtrs long.

Last photo shows pool placement.

I'll leave it at that now so as not to bore anyone wih my project but feel free to ask questions and if I can help with answers, I have plenty more photo's.

Cheers,

BarbaraPool Hole no 1.JPG

Brick Founds no 1.JPGVeranda Vents no 1.JPG

Bearers #1.jpg

Foil Board.jpg

Pool Placement no 1.JPG

Well thought I'd add a little more to this topic, pretty cold day here today as I think it is almost everywhere with predicted hailstones.

Next photo in the build I have attached, shows completed pool prior to framing with my  offsider site manager Pipi checking the process as usual!

Next photo is a notherly view from the pool with framing going up.Pool Concrete Finished no 5.jpg

Internal view of Pool #2.JPG

Frame South Side.JPG

Picture above shows framing in full swing and then came the trusses in the picture below. This part of the project was in my opinion the most challenging of anything else we've done on the home thus far.

The trusses were 12.5m wide with only the slightest overhang on the top plates of I think was only about 10cm or so. To pick the trusses up, we fastened two 8" x2" timbers in old measurements, in the main triangle section of the trusses so as not to compromise the gangnails, we then lifted them up with the trusty front end loader and sat the truss on the east end of the house. Then we fastened a rope at either end of the trusses and we dragged the it from the east to the west, some 17 mtrs initially, lifting or jumping it over the odd gangnail that was in the top plate here and there, until it was right up the west end and ready to stand up. Then we used a long board to start to lift the truss and took up the slack with two ropes fastened at the centre or top of the truss, one rope pulling east and the other west. Slowly aand painstakingly, we loosened one rope and tightened the other rope and mostly we succeeded with each truss, although the odd one slipped off the top plate and we had to re lower the truss, lift it back up onto the top plate by hand and start the lift again. To get the truss back up on the top plate, we had to completely skew the truss, even though we only had to gain that small amount of 10cm.

Fourteen trusses later and we had them up and then there were the smaller hip trusses but they seemed rather easy compared to the main trusses!!!Trusses no 1.JPG

Next photo shows the pool roof. The picture can be a bit hard to make out but we actually have two roofs, the cathedral ceiling sitting under under the main roof of the home thus avoiding valleys. Gosh I hope there's no OHS workshop member analysing our makeshift scaffolding that we were working on ha-ha

If you look at the next photo, you can just make out the cathedral ceiling roof under the main roof.Pool Roof #5.JPG

Frame showing all openings.JPG

Finished Roof.JPG

The photo above shows the colourbond roof finally on and the brickwork on the go on the right hand side of the photo.

Last image below shows the brickwork on the south side almost finished and as I type we are now only about 80 blocks away from completion. Five windows on the east side of the home means lots of cutting, easy with a 9" grinder but very dusty. Limestone is very good to work with being able to fashion it very easily.

Will update again later in the week.Back of House with Ramp.JPG

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: From Scratch

Lovely to follow along with this build @Baretta11.

Any updates on the pool?

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@StevieB 

Hi Stevie,

Thanks for taking the time to follow my journey.

Three years on and we're moved in but alas we have not finished the poolroom, although I hope some time in this millenium I will be able to announce some progress!!

There still is quite a few projects to complete like the solar heating which can't be on our house roof because we catch our own drinking water and should the pool water ever leak for any reason, we would have to discard all the water in the tank and we couldn't live here until we got rain!! Anyway, we're going to build a small roof area but almost at ground level so we can also maintain our pool heating system without climbing onto the roof which is a dangerous venture at our age.

Still have a repair to complete on the actual pool, tiling although it's not mandatory as far as swimming in the pool and we have to finish the plastering, mostly aesthetic things but we seem to be busy on the farm even now after the harvest so neither one of us are set to tackle these jobs at present.

No sure what photo's I have included previously but I've included construction, completion of pool prior to framing, framing going up and filling the pool.

Cheers,

BarbaraBrick Piers for Pool no1.JPGPool Concrete Finished no 5.jpgFilling Pool #2.JPGInternal view of Pool #2.JPG

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks so much for the update Barbara (@Baretta11).

Look forward to seeing more when you're able to tackle those projects. It's really been amazing to read your project journey and see what you and your husband have been able to achieve together. Thanks again for taking the time to update us along the way.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@StevieB 

It's my pleasure entirely.

It's been wonderful to share in what could not be described as anything less than epic for two older people like us or at least much older to have made a start on such a huge project.

I can say catagorically,  that I'm as proud as punch of what we've achieved and encourage anyone to give it a go.

Cheers,

Barbara

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects