Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. sewing table

rubytuesday1953
Having an Impact

D.I.Y. sewing table

sew.pngWell, I've finally had the time to get to my sewing room to do a little reno. What a PITA it was too.

Firstly I had to go thru about 10 plastic storage boxes full of fabric and decide what had to go and what stayed.

(some of the stuff I hadn't seen for about 10yrs) Took me about 3-4 days to do that.

Prior to that I got all the materials needed to build myself a new sewing table courtesy of @Nham. (thank you very much)

Is was a challenge, but I'm happy with the outcome. I had my builder friend come and cut 5cm off the width of the bench top with his fancy circular saw as I didn't think I'd be able to do it neatly with mine.

I can actually move and find stuff in the room now. Before I just kept the door closed

I replaced all the plastic tubs with one 14 cube storage unit and one 8 cube storage unit + ezy brickor plastic baskets (all from Bunnings, including all the materials to make the desk)

I already had the paint (that I had bought from Bunnings previously for other projects)

I put 1 coat of Tradex Ultra prep then 2 coats of Tradex oil based enamel on the frame and 4 coats of Monocel oiled based satin clear wood varnish on the benchtop (sanding between each coat with 240grit sandpaper)

I just love using both these paints. They give such a good durable finish.

As I made my desk 2.2mts long (to fit all my machine) I had to put 4 bracing pieces across the top of the frame (at Nham's suggestion) and one long one in the middle to the floor so it wouldn't sag when the benchtop went on

I'm very happy with my new "sewing centre"

Hope you all like it too

20211228_114816.jpg20211228_114828.jpg20211228_114841.jpg20220107_212934.jpg20220107_213007.jpg20220107_205915.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sewing table

That looks absolutely wonderful @rubytuesday1953. You've done a spectacular job, and I'm so delighted that you can now use the area. With your new table and pegboard setup, it all looks very professional indeed.

It's great to hear that you received some amazing assistance from @Nham. I trust they'll be pleased to see your finished results.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Looks wonderful and well organised. :smile:

My wife would love this.

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @rubytuesday1953 

Wow, that is an awesome setup and the table looks great. I really like the way you stored your spools and threads on the pegboard. My mum is a dressmaker like yourself and would love this setup:-). All the best.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: D.I.Y. sewing table

Congratulations on your new "sewing centre" @rubytuesday1953!

You've done a great job on it - it looks professionally made. 

Looking forward to seeing more projects from you this year :smile:

Katie

Skhor28
Finding My Feet

Deeply impressed with the end result. Well done 👍 

I’m planning to DIY a working table for my sewing as well, the height I require is 850mm, as I usually standing doing the fabric cutting and pattern designing. 
The job I’m looking at is something simple and low budgets; kind of using the legs and mount on a piece of table panel, lol. I can’t do much of heavy work due to my backache. 
Can anyone suggest something for me please?

thanks 🙏

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @Skhor28. I'm pleased that you have been inspired by @rubytuesday1953's fantastic project. 

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to see if he could share some thoughts with you about how to create a simple, low-budget sewing table.

You might be interested in the guide How to create a kids craft table with storage - it could be adapted to your needs.

Jason

9.3 Craft bench completed.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Skhor28

It's great to hear that you've been motivated by @rubytuesday1953's amazing sewing table project. I suggest using a timber panel of your choice, some are oiled and others are not so please choose carefully. Choosing an unsealed benchtop means that you will have to paint it with a sealer to prevent it from getting damaged by moisture.

You have two choices for your table legs, the Adoored 50 x 700-1100mm Black Metal Extension Furniture Leg. This leg is adjustable and you can have it at the exact height you need it to be. The other one is the Adoored 60 x 870mm Black Round Breakfast Bar Leg. This is a fixed leg very close to the height that you need but will end up a tad taller when you put the benchtop on top of it. You'll need four legs, one for each corner of the table.

Assembling this table is straightforward. Once you've chosen your benchtop and table legs, each leg must be secured to each corner of the benchtop with screws. The screw length will be dependent on the thickness of your benchtop. Let's say that the benchtop you've chosen is 30mm thick. I recommend using a 25mm screw so that it will not penetrate the top of the benchtop even if you screw the leg on very tightly. 

Have a mate give you hand to turn the benchtop over. Place the table where you will be using it, once it's in place then you can adjust the height of the legs to where you want them. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your sewing table assembled.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric for the suggestion, it sounds easy and practical. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated on your project @Skhor28, and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects