Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Essential and nice to have hand and power tools when starting out as a woodworker

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Essential and nice to have hand and power tools when starting out as a woodworker

Dear All, Many thanks to those of you for your valuable feedback on my table saw question. 

I have another question which I should have also asked at the same time.

Having decided to make the exciting decision to go down the rabbit hole and become a woodworker, I do not have the budget to go all out and buy all the tools that I think I might need or want at once.

I have chosen to start making what you might call "standard" jewellery boxes and, over time, I would like to increase my skills and start making boxes that are more ornate or exotic. From there, the sky is the limit and I will continue to hone my skills and progress to whatever takes my fancy.

Budget or not, in starting out there will be those power and hand tools that will be essential to have, and there will be those that will be nice to have.

This is where my knowledge is lacking so once again I seek your advice as to which tools are either essential or nice to have for someone like me starting out.

Stay safe.

Regards, Chris

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Essential and Nice to Have Hand and Power tools when starting out as a woodworker

Hi Chris (@BigFella1956),

What great questions which I trust many of our members will be interested in. You might like to check out the topics Beginner advice what tools do I needFrom the Start hand tool recommendations please and The great power tools debate- What is the best brand which have a fantastic amount of information in them.

A great way to learn what tools you'll need is to watch some videos on jewellery box construction and note down the tools they used. You'll find that there will be several different techniques and ways to accomplish each step of the process. You can essentially make jewellery boxes with a compound mitre saw and a cordless drill. Every other tool you acquire helps by reducing the time it takes to construct the box and improving the accuracy of the joints and the finish. 

Some tools you might like to consider which will make the job easier are a compound mitre sawbandsaw, bench plane, drill press, palm sander and clamps

My personal recommendation for fine joins on boxes is to replace the standard blade you get with a saw with an Irwin 60T Circular Saw Blade. These 60 tooth blades make some exceptionally nice cuts with minimal to no tear-out of timber fibres and give a very nice finish overall. The less finishing you have to do with sandpaper after making a cut the neater the join will be.

Let me mention a few knowledgable members @woodenwookie, @Yorky88@LePallet and @r23on who might like to join the conversation.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Essential and nice to have hand and power tools when starting out as a woodworker

Hi Chris (@BigFella1956)

You might also like to check out this recent discussion - How to start new workshop? - as community member @Razzer shares some great advice. 

Looking forward to seeing what you can create with your new tools.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: Essential and Nice to Have Hand and Power tools when starting out as a woodworker

Hi Chris (@BigFella)

All of this is base on the fact you've a limited budget and the brand of tool you buy will dictate what you buy

If you want to get into the woodworking side of things I would suggest you join a woodworking group / mens shed and get a grip on some of the hand tools and learn a few skills on how to make a few things first.

You are going to be given a lot of great Ideas on what to get ( the budget will make that decision for you)

Things to consider:-

What you pay is what you get

you will never have enough clamps they will be either to big or not big enough So a good supply of clamps. Don't forget the glue

"A good sliding combination compound 10in saw"

"a combination of electrical / batterie powered (you will read many decisions of which is the best to use. You get what best suites you)."

A good hand router which can be mounted into a routing table plus router bits.

either a full size or bench mounted drill press and a quality set of HSS drill bits not carbon steel drill bits 

"A 8in grinder to sharpen many tools" 

Japanese handsaw set for fine work, quality set of chisels, this will sound bit iffy different grades of super glue, I use it all the time

"A combination square set, marking gauges" 

Chris the list is long once you start it is never ending. As your knowledge and skill grows you will buy more as you need. Once again join a woodworking group first, buy quality and they will last along time. 

When you start doing things like jewellery box you will need a few more speciality tools only consider them when you need to do so

Take a trip to Carbatec or Timbecon and have a look at some of the hand plans you may want. Hare and Forbs for some of the bigger machinery( I take it you are in Australia)

I look forward to hearing what you get 

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

G'day r23on, firstly, yes, I am in Australia. Berwick, Victoria to be exact. Once we are on the other side of COVID, I will be joining the local woodworking group, and I get what you mean about buying quality tools - they are more productive and cheaper in the long run! Once again, practical advice, many thanks. Regards, Chris

Thanks, Mitchell, I have already checked out the links you sent. Great advice. Take care, regards, Chris

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Re: Essential and nice to have hand and power tools when starting out as a woodworker

Thanks, Jason, I have already checked out the link you sent. Great advice. Take care, regards, Chris

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Chris

The reason I ask were you Au is because we have members From NZ so when pointing out a few suppliers are mainly in Au.

Carbatec and Hear and Forbes are the closest to you and of course Bunnings. For some of my finer quality tools I use Timberbits in NSW order by 10:00am you have them next day by 5:00pm and Carbatec for some of my specialty tool but they take much longer.

Next question

What tool do you have if any? From there other can advise what to add to you collection. in the mean jump in to hear and forbes and get an 8in grinder and start to learn to sharpen drill bits. there are plenty of youtube videos that show you how.

there will be a lot of things you can make like a straight edge.

Regards

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Scroll saw with a rotary tool attachment would be good for you. The rotary attachment will allow you to do the fine engraving etc. The scroll saw will allow you to make intricate pieces to decorate.

Other than that a mitre saw if you’re going to do mitre joints or a router if you want to do rabbets and dados.

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

r23on, 

I have the following tools:

• 10" mitre saw
  • drills (1 x corded, 1 not)
  • jigsaw
  • circular saw
  • palm sander
  • belt sander
  • angle grinder
  • assorted hand tools (not many)

I had already checked out most of the suppliers you mentioned but not Timberbits, but of course, I will do so.

Thanks for taking the time with me. It's appreciated.

Regards, Chris

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects