Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floating shelves

wooshka
Making a Splash

Floating shelves

Hi Guys, time to post up some pictures of one of my prjects from  the last couple of months.

My wife wanted a simple set of shelves in the old shed we converted last year to put games, puzzles etc for when the grand kids visit.

I used an old piece of jarrah that i found lying in a backyard of a house we cleaned up , i ran the plane over it to tidy it up.

Then i bought some panels from bunnings for the shelves, cut some striips off and glued them to the ends with biscuits to stop them bowing, a bit of carefull cutting the post for the shelves and this is the finished productIMG_20211205_094142.jpgIMG_20211127_151922.jpgIMG_20211204_104051.jpgIMG_20211212_150024.jpgIMG_20211205_095414.jpgIMG_20211204_145839.jpgIMG_20211227_152204.jpgIMG_20220106_155333.jpgIMG_20220106_160955.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Floating shelves

A stunning piece of engineering sir! :smile:

"a bit of carefull cutting the post for the shelves"

Can you elaborate on that please - how you got those perfect trenches? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Nice one @wooshka! Looks fantastic and is also very functional. I know I store things away in cupboards, never to be seen again. Visually, this is great as the grandkids can see everything they have to play with.

I, too, would be interested in hearing more about these cutouts on the post. Did you use a table saw?

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Well done @wooshka!

Can't help but love your little Bunnings set on your shelf. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Noyade , i used the drop saw in the photo to cut the trenches, lots of small cuts then a chisel to tidy up.

i did measure each one against each shelf as the panels are not always the exact same thickness

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks Wooshka.

That's very impressive indeed - very fine tolerances there - otherwise the shelves would sag, ever so slightly?

Very well done! :smile:

Hi @Noyade , i did make a small mistake in not allowing for the thickness of the finish of the shelves that required removing with a very sharp blade so they would slide all the way in!

TempestSkye7
Having an Impact

Beautifully made! Thank you for sharing your design and process with us! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects