Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you organise your books?

Akanksha
Projects Editor
Projects Editor

How do you organise your books?

With National Book Week coming up next month, I thought we could celebrate by sharing any ideas related to organising and storing books. AdobeStock_378375252_Editorial_Use_Only.jpeg

Reading personally sparks immense joy in me. I remember being reprimanded as a young girl because I would spend all my time reading instead of playing outdoors with other kids.

I’d like to pass on my love for reading to my daughter and build her her very first bookshelf. I remember seeing a castle bookshelf by @prettyliving. Love your creativity there, Jess! Any tips for members like me who are looking to replicate this look?

Also tagging some members who have built some amazing D.I.Y. book organisers in the past to share their tips and biggest learnings. Everyone else feel free to join in!

@diy_hausdesigns, @Tara86, @Benskimo, @DannoAbbott

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do you organise your books?

Thanks for the tag @Akanksha 

If I could give any advice it would be to start with a measurement of the space that could be used, then draw up some ideas and plans. There’s really endless options for creative bookshelves, if you have an idea for a shape (for example a castle like the bookshelf I made), all you need is some timber boards, lay them out to create your “structure” and then start attaching them together. 
Ive always wanted to make a bookshelf in the shape of a school bus, using a flexi storage cube unit for the “windows” and to store the books and make some wheels and extras to give it character. 
The idea is in my head, one day I hope to make it happen ☺️

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I have too many books and the situation is not improving. Five years ago I gutted a room and 'designed' bookcases to fit every nook and cranny - and it's not pretty. I created corners where the books 'disappeared' and memory must take over. I sorted all the books into three sizes and built the shelve heights to suit as I wanted no space between the top of the book and the bottom of the next shelf. Floor to ceiling - I'm already running outta room. 🙁

20220731_095131.jpg

Great tips, thanks @prettyliving! Possibilities really are endless for bookshelves, you're right. Knowing the measurements of your space is a great starting point that can help narrow down those options to a large extent.  

Love that school bus themed bookshelf idea, and especially those "windows"! Can't wait to see it one day. 

Good luck, and thanks for sharing those tips once again. 

Akanksha

I had a similar problem growing up in my parents' home, @Noyade - too many books and not enough space. I had to eventually cull my collection and ended up donating quite a few of my beloved reads :unhappy: Hoping I don't have to do the same in my current home, and that I find a great storage solution soon. They're mostly tucked away in boxes and cabinets right now. 

I do like your idea of sorting the books into three sizes and fitting them into a custom made, floor to ceiling bookshelf - pretty handy organisational tip. How long did it take for you to build that custom bookshelf? Was the process easy? 

Thanks

Akanksha

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @Akanksha 

"How long did it take for you to build that custom bookshelf? Was the process easy?"

It took about a month and there were no real issues in creating 16 diverse and odd sized bookcases that were attached everywhere - even above a door and window. I would be ashamed to post more photos. My understanding wife just rolled her eyes but was not impressed. Like you I tossed around the idea of donating a lot of them but my older brother wants dibs - when I'm dead. How the hell he gets them all to Perth is beyond me. 🤔

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects