Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach VJ boards to walls?

Aalitay
Just Starting Out

How to attach VJ boards to walls?

Hi everyone, I would like to do VJ panelling on my walls. It's a double brick home with render and plastered walls. 

Do I have to put a frame on the walls to nail the boards to or can I glue them straight to the wall.? 

Also can they be put above skirting boards or would I need to remove them.? 

Look forward to your advise. 

Thankyou 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: VJ Boards

Hello @Aalitay

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about VJ boards.

Using Easycraft EasyVJ 900 x 1200 x 9mm Primed MDF Interior Wall Linings is a convenient and quick way of adding a feature to your room in a very short time. You can glue them directly onto plasterboard walls. The recommended mounting of the EasyVJ Panels to brick or rendered walls is to place timber battens along the wall. If you decide to attach the panel directly to brick or rendered walls, you will have to build a temporary brace to hold the panel in place until the glue cures. 

The choice is yours when installing skirting and crown moulding, it is definitely possible and can be done after the EasyVJ Panel has been glued on. Any updates you can provide while installing the EasyVJ Panels would be much appreciated. I'm sure our members are keen to see your renovation.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to create a VJ feature wall

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: Recessed TV feature wall with EasyVJ panels by @ProjectPete

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to attach VJ boards to walls?

Hi @Aalitay,

Using a high quality adhesive & sealant allows you to glue/stick the panels directly to your plastered brick walls and they can simply be held in place with a Brad nailer (25mm 18ga is sufficient) while the adhesive cures.

You need to leave expansion gaps around the panels so if you finish above your skirting, there'll be an expansion gap. If you remove your skirting your expansion gap would be down at the flor level which will then be covered when you reinstall the skirting. You can even remove the skirting and leave it off depending on your floor type and how it's finished near your wall.

Hope this helps.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects