Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a jigsaw puzzle easel?

Björn
Finding My Feet

How to build a jigsaw puzzle easel?

Hi.

I would like to build a jigsaw puzzle "easle", that can hold puzzles for up to about 4000 pieces ( one example: 138x68 cm, 54,3x26,8 in).

Different from boards or tables I think allowing for having the work area at an angle would be most helpful.

If nothing else then just to avoid back and neck pain.

I do not need it to contain storage like many of the boards do.

I have not been able to find blueprints / instructions for this online, and hoping someone might have ideas and could help out?

I dont really know what kind of materials or tools I need for this sort of project, and havent really got access to fancy tools, living in an apartment.

There are plenty of puzzle boards or tables around, but easels or other means of allowing to have the puzzle on an angle is a bit more rare.

I bought a cheaper plastic one, but it does not have enough of an angle to help much.

I also looked at a more expensive one in wood material that looks just like what I want.

One thing they all have in common is they are simply too small, 1000 pieces (not always those fit either).

When I look at standard puzzle size for 4000 it seems to be at about 136x96 cm, or even 5000 pieces at 153x101 cm.

I of course dont want it to tip over from the weight either so I am worried a too large "height" would be a problem, depending on where the stabilizer is located. but I'm thinking a work area of something like 140x100 or even 160x105 if possible.

Most larger puzzles seems to be using the larger of the measurements for width, or "landscape". While many of the smaller ones are built as "portrait". Which incidentally is why many 1000 piece puzzles dont fit on existing boards, as they are meant for "landscape".

I will also attemt to fasten my puzzle mats on this, so that when I am done, I can just roll it up and start on a new one, have several mats. That I can easily do with some clamps or something I'm thinking. (?)

Especially if the surface is felt, it should help avoid stretching of or dragging on the mat.

I hope this is the right place to ask.

Attaching an image of the wooden one from Ravensburger that I would have bought had it been of larger size.

It is a great example of what I would like to build.

This one is for 1000 pieces, built of wood. the board measures 75x52 cm, in landscape.

jGfm50H4HU.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a jigsaw puzzle easel?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Björn. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a puzzle easel.

There are a few ways you could go about constructing the easel. I've spent some time putting together the following renderings, illustrating a reasonably easy version. Most of it can be built from 42 x 19mm Pine and 3mm plywood. If this appears to suit your needs, please feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Let me know what you think.

Mitchell

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi.

Thank you for your time and effort @MitchellMc.

Very nice illustrations!

From what I can tell that looks like a much easier solution that what I figured I would have to do/came up with in my head.

I appreciate that it looks like it requires very little in the way of tooling as well.

I do have a few questions regarding durability.

Using the 6th (second to last) image as reference.

Do you think it could be an issue, taking weight into consideration, that the longer pieces holding the construction up would push either at the smaller pieces of wood, or the plywood, making them/it come loose or break?

Same question regarding the hinges by the way, since it looks like most of the weight happens pushing downwards in an angle, outside of the main construction. Perhaps a thicker piece of wood in that location only, and slightly larger hinges would solve that?

I have no idea what kind of weight such things can be expected to hold properly.

bDkjlfkloA.png

Seeing as my needs is a construction that allows me to make/put puzzles of the larger variety at an angle, I'd say this indeed looks like it would be one option to fill that need.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Björn

I'm pleased you like the design. The top working surface and frame aren't particularly heavy. I suspect the bolt hinges will be just fine, and if the surface board is nailed and glued on, I can't see it being pushed off. You always have the option to increase the sturdiness of components; I was just trying to keep it as light as possible for you.

Mitchell

Morning @Björn and @MitchellMc 

"Very nice illustrations!"

They are always superb!

Now for an amateur...

"5000 pieces at 153x101 cm."

This to me is huge - bigger than the table I'm typing this on. We're looking at a draughtsman sized table.

I had a quick Google and this woman looks very happy seated with a swiveling table top. I like this idea with the simple frame construction which we can scale up. And I like the idea of wheels - we can move this monster anywhere/anytime. The metal slotted 'protractor' angle locking mechanism looks dubious in holding quality, especially if we're going with a 1.5 metre table. I can imagine as we're just about to place the 4,999 piece - the grip is lost and the table turns vertical - and the floor becomes your easel.

I'm thinking of a similar design but much beefier - I'd be looking for wood in the trade end of Bunnings.

Rough (very) drawing of the locking mechanism using - maybe dowel?

Scan1103.jpg

ADPT.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I also saw that one, @Noyade, when I looked for designs. She does look very happy!

Mitchell

Thanks for the suggestion and drawing.

It does look a bit more complicated to build also.

I have looked at these a little bit.

Those are as fairly expensive though.

I would say 'huge' is a matter of perspective. :smile:

I have a table already that is 180x77 cm taking up space, which I use for plenty of things, among others, puzzles.

That is why I think an easle probably would work better for me.

From the other perspective, a drawing table (like the one in image above) you can possibly get the pussle located in a more ergonomic position by having it lower down as well as an angle.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects