Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to glue timber boards to brick wall?

Haze
Growing in Experience

How to glue timber boards to brick wall?

Hi there,

I have an ugly (internal) brick wall that I'd like to pretty up by covering it in timber boarding - I'm thinking VJ panels or going strip-by-strip with shiplap or similar notched boards, etc.

Most online recommendations I've come across so far talk about mounting battens/furrings first, but I'd prefer to avoid this - on account of the undesirable increase in thickness out from the wall that results.  Thus, I'm hoping there is an effective way to glue the timber boards straight onto the brick wall?  That brings up two questions - what adhesive to use, and what preparation (in terms of cleaning, priming, sealing, etc.) is required on the brick walls first?

[I've successfully glued plasterboard sheets onto brick walls in the past, and I know I could do that again here, but I'd like to do something a bit more textural/interesting this time...]

All suggestions appreciated!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Glueing timber boards to brick wall

Hello @Haze 

Thanks for sharing your question about attaching panels to your brick wall. There have been several discussions regarding attaching panels such as EasycraftVJ directly onto a brick surface. The general consensus is to use a high-quality adhesive and a masonry nail or screw to hold it in place while the adhesive dries off. 

I recommend having a look at Gyprock CSR 1kg Acryclic Stud Adhesive in combination with Ramset Black Countersunk Masonry Screw. Please remember that it will be necessary to drill a pilot hole in the brick before using the masonry screw. 

Please note that the masonry screw is only temporary and are there to hold the panel in place until the adhesive cures. Once the adhesive cures you can remove the masonry screws and the holes can be filled in with ordinary timber filler.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you fix VJ to a brick wall?

Here are some of the discussions regarding attaching panels on brick walls:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Haze
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your response - much appreciated.

However, can I ask why you have recommended Gyprock CSR Acrylic stud adhesive?  Reading through its product details I see reference to its suitability for use on timber, steel and plasterboard - but there's no mention at all of it being suitable for brick.  [In fact, Gyprock themselves recommend a totally different type of product for use with brick.]

So I don't understand why you're recommending this, and not one of the many "construction" type adhesives - most of which do claim to be suitable for both brick and timber...

Cheers!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Haze 

I've recommended Gyprock CSR Acrylic stud adhesive as it is the recommended adhesive for the product. I suggested it as it was the consensus at the time. However, if you prefer to use construction adhesive such as Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive this will work as well. 

If you're worried about the glue not being enough, you can drill holes in your brick wall and use wall plugs in combination with Zenith 8G x 30mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws to hold the panels in place. Just keep in mind to countersink your panels before you fix the screws in place. This will allow you to use filler to cover the screw heads and keep your panels profile nice and clean.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

Haze
Growing in Experience

No, Gyprock CSR Acrylic stud adhesive is NOT recommended for sticking timber to brick!  Why do you keep saying it is?

Gyprock themselves recommend a totally different product for sticking to brick, but it's for sticking plasterboard to brick, not for sticking timber to brick!  So that doesn't help me either.

Also, I went through all the links you gave me but none of them deal with sticking timber directly to bare brick; they're all dealing with plasterboard or plastered/rendered brick surfaces.

So, I'm really still none the wiser with regards to what to use for my project.

What I need is advice on - out of all the adhesives that claim to suitable for bonding to both brick and timber (and there seem to be quite a few of them on paper), which is the best one for me to be using in my particular application?

Does anybody have an opinion on that?

Many thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to glue timber boards to brick wall?

Hello @Haze 

My sincerest apologies if I've given you the wrong information. Let me call on some of our members to provide you with more options.

Let me call on our experienced members @ProjectPete @Marshall, @homeinmelbourne @TedBear, @Adam_W, @craftyhopper and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

Let me also call on @MitchellMc in case he has any extra information to add.

Eric

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Haze have you thought of using 12mm thick battens screwed into the brickwork as @EricL suggested, then gluing the panels to the battens, this would only add another 12mm to the thickness of the wall.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Haze,

I believe my colleague @EricL was referencing that the only adhesive that EasyCraft recommend for their EasyCraft VJ panel is Gyprock CSR 1kg Acryclic Stud Adhesive. This is because, according to the manufacturer, the panelling isn't able to be installed directly on a brick wall. They recommend using this adhesive on timber or plasterboard. You're 100% correct that if you are installing plaster sheeting or, in your case, VJ panelling onto a brick wall, it's not the product that CSR recommends. Given CSR deals with plasterboard, I don't believe their Gyprock CSR 20kg Drywall Masonry Adhesive would be suitable for your purposes either.

It sounds like Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive or any of the other construction adhesives that are suitable for timber and brick/masonry are what you're after. Remember using construction adhesive and mounting the panels directly to a brick wall is not the recommended installation technique from EasyCraft. However, I believe that you'll most likely have success with that method.

Sorry for the confusion, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Marshall
Cultivating a Following

Hi Haze,

I completed a similar project almost 2 years back. Fixed VJ wall panels directly to brick walls in 2 downstairs rooms I was refreshing. Did not want to build / add fixing battons.  I fixed the VJ panels directly into the old dated brick walls. Worked seemlessly - no issues at all. Came up well.

I used Selleys liquid nails construction adhesive in combination with temporary screws which I added to keep even pressure on the wall while the construction adhesive cured. I removed the screws after a couple of days and filled the holes before painting.

For the construction adhesive I actually used a combination of 2 different adhesives from Selleys which had different texture. 

Primarily I used  Selleys liquid nails Extra Strong

I experimented a little bit before hand and also did also use a bit of Selleys Liquid nails Landscape

It had a different consistency. A bit thicker more flexible and I found using the combination of both adhesives just helped with getting it to grab/set in the initial phase and also with accommodating some unevenness in the brickwork. I applied the construction adhesive pretty liberally.

I then screwed temporary screws into the panels to keep even pressure as the construction adhesive set. Removed these puttied and painted after a few days. Came up well no issues with the bondage. Nearly 2 years later haven't had an issue. Looks 100% on the old dated brick.. 

Some details and pics from my project here plus some pics below. Feel free to ask any questions.

20210805_184541.jpg

20210822_201746.jpg

20210822_202855.jpg

Haze
Growing in Experience

No worries @EricL; I appreciate all your efforts.

Looks like you have elicited some other useful responses for me here; so thanks very much!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects