Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Moldable Glue - supplier of?

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Moldable Glue - supplier of?

I have a use for a product called moldable glue, such as Sugru Moldable Glue & disappointed to see that Bunnings don't supply it. Does anyone know where I can get it, or something similar in Australia, particularly Western Australia?  

I want it to reinforce the connection points where fine wires are subject to movement, such as earphone wires. Any suggestions please? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Moldable Glue - supplier of?

Hi @TedBear

Just letting you know that there is an equivalent product in the store. It's called Loctite 3 x 5g Kintsuglue - White, it also comes in a dark colour as well. Loctite Kintsuglue is a flexible paste created to fix almost any broken object. Shapeable, strong and flexible after curing, it can be applied to all the things you want to repair, reconstruct, protect or enhance. It is an air-activated product and can be moulded into any shape. 

If you need more information, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @EricL . That looks like it should do the trick. 

I did a search for flexible putty on the Products App but that didn't come up as a result, so I am glad that I asked here.

Hi Eric, what could be used to colour this putty please? Grateful for your advice.

Hi @DeeDeeBee,

Kintsuglue is not designed to have colours mixed into it. If you wanted to change its colour, you'd need to experiment. Since it's a silicone-based product, I can't imagine any paint coating you put onto it would be exceptionally hard wearing. 

I have painted Selley's Knead-It before with enamel paint, which held up well. Knead-It is an epoxy putty that sets hard, unlike the Kintsuglue, which remains flexible. 

I trust @EricL will add his thoughts, too, if he can think of any colourant options.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell. Good to know about the Selleys epoxy product too as the silicon putty did not hold up as a chair foot.

20220523_100744.jpg

@DeeDeeBee,

Due to the chair leg ends experiencing a fair bit of abuse, you might like to replace the tip with a nail on slide instead of the putty. They would be a more robust option.

Mitchell

Certainly an interesting looking product (Kintsuglue) - never heard of it before, but just bought a packet from Bunnings and gonna try it on this cord...

Why do they make this area so weak?Why do they make this area so weak?

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Noyade , my cynical response to that question is - so they can keep selling products. Don't want them lasting forever.

But, less cynically, the interface between any material types, or even a significant change of thickness of the same material, is inherently a mechanical weak spot.

I always reinforce those places on cords wherever possible from the start. It's ok when I make the cord myself - I can slip on some heat shrink and taper the interface so it is a gentle change in thickness at each point, but trickier when it is an already made object, such as earphone cords.

I have had limited success by splitting some heat-shrink (that will fit over the thicker part), applying a thin strip of soft glue at the join and wrapping the heat-shrink onto that. I then shrink it to fit at the thinner part of the cord.

But it doesn't last all that long and also is a bit messy looking. Hopefully the malleable glue will be a more successful answer - for both of us.  

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Ted.

Yeah, being cynical myself and as president of the Australian Skeptics Society I too am sure Samsung wants those areas to self-destruct after minimal use.

My wife laughed at my efforts to repair the cord with this mouldable plastic saying for a dollar more I could have bought a new cable. Probably right and my result looks aesthetically poor - I failed plastiscine class in Kindergarten. I noticed it also marks things easy - note the paper background.

Nevertheless it feels sturdy, well adhered and flexible. See how we go.

Incidentally, I know you can buy reasonably priced cords that are thicker (more durable?) from Kmart - seen on the left.

20220525_090344.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects