Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Non-genuine batteries

jaga
Having an Impact

Non-genuine batteries

Hi everyone

does anyone have an opinion on after-market batteries for Makita tools? 

- Are they safe?

- Are the reliable?

- Is the life span the same?

- Is there an issue with Makita warranty on the tools, if an after-market battery is used?

Thanks

jaga 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Non-genuine batteries

Hi @jaga,

Many thanks for your question I'd be happy to start the conversation. I haven't personally used any aftermarket batteries, however, I can relay some cautionary advice on aftermarket batteries in general.

There is the possibility, in some circumstances, that an aftermarket non-Makita battery may fuse to the tool and weld itself to the connecting terminals. There have been instances where aftermarket batteries have overheated and caught fire due to their inferior quality and not being suitable for delivering the power required for the tool. A fused battery on a tool and/or a tool which has caught fire due to an aftermarket battery is most certainly not covered under Makitas warranty.

Reliability comes down to the quality of manufacture and the cells used in the battery. Makita has invested heavily into making sure their technology works, they use high-quality cells from producers like Samsung and this is reflected in their products reputation.

Although aftermarket batteries are tempting at their reduced price point, what you are not getting is the assurance that quality technology has been used within the product, that the battery is compatible with your tool and a solid Australian Makita warranty that can be facilitated through a Bunnings store.

Let me mention some members @TheSaltyreefer, @ProjectPete, @redracer01, @Noyade, @r23on and @woodenwookie who might like to give their thoughts on aftermarket batteries.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Jaga

There is an old saying you get what you pay for. As for warranty I suggest you read your warranty documentation. If your thinking of getting it from over seas I would have another think as batteries are not permitted to shipped unless its through a recognised group which have to meet stringent rules.

The only place a have been able to get good batteries that meet specs are from Batterie World, then i got what I payed for. I must admit the aftermarket batteries I have used were for high end camera equipment, haven't lasted long. The decision is yours, you could be lucky and get a some good ones

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

as most said they are what they are, 

no warranty,

can sometimes damage the tools they are supposedly made for rendering the tool useless and issues with its warranty

most of the places you are buying these items from are drop shippers and or not an shop front so replacing and or getting them fixed is a nighmare

I have seen these issues first hand, so IMO steer away

whilst the initial outlay is cheaper sometimes, peace of mind is worth more :smile:

jaga
Having an Impact

Thanks everyone for your input. 
I guess I’m convinced now, that it’s not worth the risk.

j

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @jaga 

Back in the day there was a product called TVP textured vegetable protein. It was the miracle product that would revolutionize the food industry. It was suppose to replace meat. It looked like meat, smelled like meat and if eaten with eyes closed and large amounts of beer it even sorta kinda tasted like meat. But I would be on my third bottle by then and anything tasted good at that point. It wasn't meat and would never be. The tool you purchased works in a very fixed fashion, thousands of hours was spent testing and refining it so that it would operate at its optimum efficiency with the designated official battery. If the "clone or equivalent battery" makes promises and ruins your very expensive tool then you would have wasted not only your money on a fake battery, you've ruined your tool as well. This is one of those times that investing in your tools is a wise decision. You can save money on the clothes you wear and the food you eat ( have some TVP buddy ). But if your tools fail you in the most critical moment you'd wish you bought real meat. Your battery if taken care of properly will give you a long service life. When you purchase an official battery you know it will give you assurances, how long it will last and its dependability and the coverage of its warranty. Can't say the same for fake meat. Don't get tempted to taste a product you know that will leave a horrible stinkin taste in your mouth. Some offers are too good to be true. ( I've seen that ebay ad as well buddy.)  Invest wisely buy official replacement batteries, you'll never regret it and you won't look back. Trust me I still can't forget the taste of that TVP.  Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

In short...

No.

No.

No.

Yes - if it can be proven.

They're not worth the money or risk, both to the life of your tools and your own safety.

I'd hate to hear of you injuring yourself or damaging your great Makita tools!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects