Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recycled messmate floating benchtop

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Recycled messmate floating benchtop

77C47A4F-7400-4097-A425-1236D8A5A573.jpeg
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Recycled Messmate Floating Benchtop

That looks amazing @LePallet. Many thanks for sharing. Is it for a home hairdressing salon? I imagine many community members might like to do something similar for a home office. How did you attach it to the wall?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Re: Recycled Messmate Floating Benchtop

Cheers like always @Jason

I had a few ways of attatching the bench to the wall but I left it too late to purchase and install the floating shelf brackets which I’ll attach a picture. 

I was lucky to have this side wall on the left hand side which aloud me brace it underneath, but because it was just for a hair salon at a home, and the bench being low, I just used a few strong steel brackets which were painted black that I purchased from bunnings, but not long enough to be able to see them. 

I wanted to cut the brackets into the wall then plaster over the face so nothing is visible, just like what @ProjectPete did recently.

As there will be no weight ever on the bench I was happy with the outcome. 

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Re: Recycled messmate floating benchtop

65A343F7-B08F-4403-8B40-C8601DF28065.jpeg

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@LePallet  another excellent job. Really like the colour too. Such a beautiful addition.

Do you have any pictures of what the wood looked like originally? I’d love to see the difference. Great to see how any old wood can be transformed.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Nice one @LePallet  :smile: Recyled/upcycled timber always give you a unique finish. Those brackets are great, very handy and give a nice finish. For those "less experienced" out there, make sure you consider the strength of te brackets and the weight of the bench itself and anything going on top as those brackets aren't always strong enough.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Thanks a lot @Tara86  means a lot. 

Here is a photo just after they were planes down around 3mm, EF277AAE-9F4C-4206-9922-5FD1FA201C6C.jpeg

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@LePallet thanks for the pic. Wow what a difference. To look at the wood and be able to see what it can be transformed into is definitely a talent in itself. You wouldn’t know it was from recycled timber. 

Any tips when joining multiple pieces side by side to help hide the join? I find I have no trouble when ive purchased the timber but can have some trouble with the pallet wood. Even after I’ve cut and sanded them all level the join can be quite noticeable. Previously used wood putty to cover but wasn’t always happy with the end result.

again great job!

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

@Tara86 your right, the glue/clamp up is the most nerve racking and most important processs of the whole job. Not only do you have to make sure all adges are dead straight and level but also making sure you have more than a enough clamps to pull it in tight and no planks being able to lift or it will create more work later on.

If any gaps do show, and definitely try using resin or epoxy, much better look and finish than wood putty 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects