Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Whole home low budget slow refresh

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Whole home low budget slow refresh

Home Sweet Home!Home Sweet Home!So I'm about to take on a little cottage in the middle of nowhere to be near family, and I'm beside myself with excitement about all the stuff we can do to freshen her up. I've never done any reno stuff before, but a lick of paint is always a great place to start. Bunnings, here I come!

P.S. I'm still trying to work out how to add an image to this post!

Re: Whole home low budget slow refresh

@MitchellMcMate, I'm so humbled by your words, and am very grateful to see that perspective now. I guess I hadn't thought anyone would be interested because so many houses today are McMansions, not little fibro shacks, and I perhaps felt a little shy about it. Thanks for the grounding! I hope you find a place to sink your teeth into for your family.

Sometimes, like tonight, I find I can't sleep because I'm hanging out for tomorrow to come so that I can get back into doing stuff. Today I went to Bunnings and got an extendable Monarch paint roller pole so I can get some colour on those exterior walls and start seeing how she's going to look. I've got some sample pots of Dulux colours called grid, tinker and highgate, which I think will look great, fingers crossed.

Hopfully I'll have a preliminary pic of at least part of a wall tomorrow.

Cheers,
JasonIMG_8728.jpg

Re: Bathroom reno has begun

A nice old full length bathtubA nice old full length bathtub

The old vanity was dismantled piece by piece.The old vanity was dismantled piece by piece.

I appreciate good architecture no matter where it comes from.I appreciate good architecture no matter where it comes from.

This thing is heavy!This thing is heavy!

This is where today finished off.This is where today finished off.

Well after a very poor nights sleep, I didn't fire up until after lunch today, and the bathroom was in my sights. A crowbar and lots of sweat saw a productive day, and I've gotten the walls much closer to the frame now, save for the remaining fibro and masonite. I have got no idea how I'm going to get the bathtub out of the bathroom, it is one heavy number, and Dad is 84 so... 😁

Some significant progress there @BoeingFan!

How wide are your doorways? If the bath width is narrower than the doorways, you could get a moving dolly under the bath before cutting the frame away. That way, you could wheel it out without lifting it. A bit trickier if you need to turn the tub on its side, though.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Good morning @MitchellMc 

That’s a great idea, I’ll measure the door frame and bath width today. Does a dolly have a side rail that I could ratchet strap the bath to on its side? 🤔

Cheers,

Jason

No, it doesn't have a rail, @BoeingFan, but you could place the bath on its side on the dolly and wrap the racket strap around it and under the belly of the dolly between the two sets of wheels.

Mitchell

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Went to Bunnings today and bought this great little wheeled cart to tow behind the old ride-on. The ride on no longer has its cutting deck so it's basically a tractor. This is going to help move piles of old vegetation to my fire burn tank and not ruin my back in the process. Chuffed!

Some fatter tyres would be goodSome fatter tyres would be goodThis is so handy for dirtThis is so handy for dirtCool kitCool kit

That's a nifty investment, @BoeingFan. It sure beats lugging rubbish around! I was going to ask how you got it to attach to the mower, but it seems you've used the handle mount to pin it there. Is it designed to attach to a mower like that, or was that your ingenious modification?

A somewhat unrelated but funny story. I grew up in a house that had about a 100-meter-long driveway. Mum used to hook the rubbish bin handle onto the car's tow ball and drag it down to the street for collection. One day as she was sitting at the traffic lights on the way to pick us up from school, the car behind started giving her a honk. She'd taken the bin on an unexpected journey without realising.

Mitchell

Wow @BoeingFan 

What a  committed  project your doing fantastic.  

Do you run any  business?  join Bunnings as a powerpass member if you arnt allready this will save you aprox 5% on you reno materials will be a big saving over time.

Your bath I am sure there is more than 1 doorway to navigate. and around corners?

Its hard to tell from photo this may not be realistic.

How wide is that window as the glass louvers can come out?   If that is a wide enough fit take out all glass put in a timber ramp up to window ledge and also timbers sloping down the other side so it can be controlled up and down I might use  come-along 2 tonne hand winch to do most of the holding (not pulling) work with a  flat woven strap in slip knot/loop to grip the bath note the strap coming under the bath first  this will help lift bath  edge upwards.bath.jpg.  The winch wont safely pull the bath up.   You will need to partly lift bath start at one  end and only lift the end closest end to window this lift will equal half  bath weight will some one takes up winch slack. If you  use a block like a besser brick use 70 x 35mm timber to lift  bath as a fulcrum taking up slack on orange strap so  you can hold the bath weight as you  repossition fulctum block at need more than once.  Note  once bath is lifted up by fulcrum you can push  timber right or left and it will move the bath closer to ramp. Do again lifting  bath higher.

Please weigh up your options at all times  and stay safe  avoid manually lifting heavy bath. 

If bath fits out door use @MitchellMc  idea of dolly.  I would aim at standing bath on end  to get it  around  corners on a dolly this may make it to tall for doorway.(if  safe to do so and  possible )and chocking wood under bath to support is odd shape.

Plan  z stand bath on end and walk it out just beware to run away  from under it if it falls.  Wish I was there to help

Good luck take your time  sit down have a cuppa and plan your next move  if  one ideas  is not practicable

@MitchellMc  Funny in cute way re  rubbish bun tow.

@MitchellMcAbsolutely, I have some back issues so anything that helps to avoid having to lug heavy stuff around is a win. The tow bar is actually very clever, it has a pin with a spring clip that can be quickly adjusted to either connect to a ride on, or the handle to pull it around. It has a max load rating of just over 500kg's, and holds 200 litres. I love it, it's saving my back lots of straining.

I love that story, that's a classic! 🤣🤣🤣 How funny. I bet your Mum still chuckles about it :laugh:

Cheers,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects