Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wheelchair-accessible workshop?

pepsp
Having an Impact

How to build a wheelchair-accessible workshop?

My elderly dad has recently started using a motorised wheelchair and is wanting to move his whole workshop to my place as he doesn't think he can use his gear any more. He has really high end tools and woodwork has been a passion for him.

We're starting to plan out the project so he can maintain a sense of control over his gear. I'd like to find a way to make my garage accessible for him so we can complete a few projects together even with his mobility constraints but I'm not sure where to start. Any pointers or ideas on what I'd need to consider to make a wheelchair accessible work bench and tool storage?

Thanks in advance workshop community!

Re: How to build a wheelchair-accessible workshop?

Thanks Tony,

Always happy to help.

Ps.. LOL I have thought about putting rockets under my wheelchair.

Thanks Jewelleryrescue you for giving me the I idea about a sky pole.
  have had trouble getting into the draws in front of my desk, so after you gave me the Idea I made this yesterday.

I used a pole I saved from my daughters old clothe ironing stand that adjust in length

and bent and welded 2 bits of aluminium together to make the hook. It works super

313478956_1485968458592167_4142014807706843265_n.jpg318360180_682345313254441_846233092565172143_n.jpg317752988_862885168242804_6645683146090340465_n.jpg318135876_1589513431488365_8081959321825185194_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Super_D

That is such an impressive device. Have you considered putting a rubber strip on the inside lip of the square "U" channel? I'm just worried that if the box is too heavy it might slip out of the grip of the hook. But I suppose the bottom pusher prevents that from happening. 

Thank you for sharing such a fantastic idea.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Super_D
Becoming a Leader

Thanks EricL, I can try a strip of rubber, and see how it goes. thanks for the tip.

pepsp
Having an Impact

Well it's taken some time due to Dad being unwell for some months, but we're now back in business. Here's a picture of the space.

20230602_081513.jpg

As two engineers, naturally we've made a scale drawing of how its coming together. 

20230601_193714~2.jpg

Existing gear to be integrated includes saw bench, drill press, band saw, router table, dust extraction, work bench. It sounds from the comments that key issues are storing things at easy reach, sufficient space for manoeuvring around between equipment and having access under/ around benches.

@Jewelleryrescue I like the idea of the under bench automotive trolleys. I will look into that further 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see the plans are coming along, @pepsp

Here's my contribution to the discussion. I've tried to create a workbench that keeps everything within arms reach and allows the user to get their wheelchair in amongst the action. I really like the cutout design and have seen it implemented on a few other tables designed for good wheelchair access.

Mitchell

I really like this @MitchellMc . What dimensions do you suggest? Also is that a curved peg board? What approach would you suggest for the curve?

Super_D
Becoming a Leader

I have see this on YouTube and It looks like a super way to get to the top shelf from my wheelchair.

Transforming Storage Shelf / Workbench

https://youtu.be/dsRQKq4UFcw

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pepsp,

The dimensions really would come down to the available space. However, typically a bench suited for a wheelchair would be far lower than the standard height. The benchtop must be above any armrests, and clear space underneath must be provided for the chair to be wheeled into. Lots of clearance for legs is also needed. You'll need to cut the pegboard into sections, as if you bend it too sharply; the hooks won't fit into the holes anymore. You don't necessarily need to go for a curved design; it was just to illustrate that the board must be within arm's reach to avoid frustration.

@Super_D might be able to let us know if there is a bench height that would be best to stick to or other conveniences that could be incorporated into the design.

Mitchell

The bench height is going to be different for most people in a wheelchair that is when the height adjustable benches are use in offices ect
I dont have arm rests to get in the way as some chair do and some arm rests swing back. If you are thinking about electric wheelchair a lot of 
them you can adjust the height up and down. But that will most likely have the arm rest in the way. I have added a few bench tools on slides that 
I can slide out to use and push in to give me bench space in front of me. One other think is the depth of the bench to reach things at the back.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects