Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut Connect-it tubes?

meexrose
Finding My Feet

How to cut Connect-it tubes?

Hi! I've bought a bunch of Connect-it anodised aluminium square tubes to make a frame for my catio. I've had no issues drilling the holes needed to secure the netting but I need to trim a few of the tubes by a few inches. 
What's a low cost solution? I've got an Ozito 18V battery, would the PXC reciprocating saw work? 
Or a specific kind of hand saw? I'd like to keep my budget below $100. 

thank you in advance! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cut Connect-it tubes?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @meexrose. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your questions about cutting connect-it tubes.

If your only cutting a few pieces of the tube, I suggest using a Trojan 300mm Heavy Duty Hack Saw. This saw is rated to cut through lightweight aluminium and steel frames. Would it be possible for you to post a photo or model number of your tool so that we know which one you have? You could purchase a steel cutting blade for your tool, but we would be able to make a better recommendation if we know the actual make of the tool. It sounds like a fantastic project. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric! 
It's a really fun project and it's important for the safety of my cats as well as the birds that keep trying to fly in! 
So this is the stuff i'm trying to cut through, only about 5 pieces actually need to be trimmed:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/connect-it-25-4-x-25-4-x-1-2mm-1-8m-black-anodised-aluminium-square-tube...

And I've had success cutting with a little trojan 150mm junior hack saw (until the teeth went totally blunt! they just disappeared!). 
I've got this drill kit including the battery and thought it might work with something? 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-pxc-18v-drill-driver-kit_p0124077 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @meexrose

Thanks for posting an immediate update. Unfortunately, there is nothing that will work with your Ozito PXC 18V Drill Driver Kit to cut the aluminium. For a moment there, I thought you had an Ozito PXC 18V Jigsaw - Skin Only. This saw combined with the Diablo Ultimate Metal Jigsaw Blade - 2 Pack should easily cut through the aluminium tubes.

I'll leave the choice up to you. The Ozito Jigsaw is still within your budget and is a fantastic tool to add to your toolbox. The battery pack you have is also compatible with this tool. You also have the choice of just purchasing the heavy-duty hacksaw. Either will get the job done. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your safety project for your animals assembled.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Ah! Okay, that's good to know. 
I think i'll try the hacksaw first as it's really only a few pieces to trim. 
Fantastic info, thank you SO much! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects