Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Looking for suggestions for my She Shed floor base

Dani64
Growing in Experience

Looking for suggestions for my She Shed floor base

shed base.JPGIMG_0700.jpgshed.jpgHi all

Im shortly starting a shed from scratch, 3.6 x 2.4, skillion roof.  The book im using is by an english author, called "How to build a shed"  In it they talk about 3 different bases to use.  Timber bearers straight on the ground, Adjustable piles or feet that attach to floor frame and are driven into the earth and a concrete base.  My plan is once I build floor frame, attach short posts into the corners and probably at each side and concrete these into the ground. Would this be ok? im thinking 300 - 350mm deep. would this work?  Or could i do something like this with concrete blocks?

Pics attached of what i hope it will look like when finished :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Looking for suggestions for my "she shed" floor base

Hello @Dani64

Building a shed from scratch is a wonderful project. I suggest going with the concrete blocks DEKO 250 x 150 x 150mm Instant Concrete Foundation Block. However, I would recommend putting some on the outside perimeter of the frame as well. I would also suggest combining it with your idea of concreting posts into the ground. Just keep in mind that the base frame and the posts will be carrying the weight of the shed walls and roof.

I suggest engaging the services of a builder to look at the plan and the proposed base frame to make sure that it is safe and up to code. I also recommend checking the local council rules and regulations regarding the construction of a shed. It's best to cover all the bases before beginning your project.

Let me tag our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns, @Brad, @ProjectPete and @TedBear for their recommendations.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kim-donaldson50
Just Starting Out

Re: Looking for suggestions for my She Shed floor base

Hi there are you in QLD ? I have this book also and am looking to do one for myself. Do you need a hand on this so I can learn along with you ?

Hello @kim-donaldson50

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @Dani64 to make them aware of your question. I've seen parts of this book from Sally Coulthard and they use UK conventions. I'm keen to follow along as well to see what floor base they'll be using. But if you decide to build yours ahead, please make sure to post some updates. I'm sure our members would be keen to see how it's built.

We look forward to seeing the start of your timber shed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @kim-donaldson50 I’m in Tassie! Was planning on starting over Easter however it’s going to rain but I will post updates once I start! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects