Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Power tool cabinets

Arcc
Having an Impact

Power tool cabinets

IMG_6097.JPGNeeding to organise and store my powertools I undertook this little project.

Built almost entirely from wood repurposed from crates and pallets it was a very cheap build and kept me busy.

I am very proud of how it turned out and am now looking for a new project to work on.

IMG_2668.JPGIMG_2669.JPGIMG_3234.JPGIMG_3239.JPGIMG_3244.JPGIMG_3353.JPGIMG_3350.JPGIMG_3442.JPGIMG_3448.JPGIMG_3614.JPGIMG_3616.JPGIMG_3632 - Copy.JPGIMG_3647.JPGIMG_3654.JPGIMG_3644 - Copy.JPGIMG_3669.JPGIMG_5521.JPGIMG_3670.JPGIMG_5530.JPGIMG_5552.JPGIMG_5736.JPGIMG_5965.JPGIMG_5972.JPGIMG_5968.JPGIMG_5973.JPGIMG_6031.JPGIMG_6097.JPGIMG_6103.JPGIMG_6106.JPGIMG_6112.JPGIMG_6108.JPG

Re: Power tool cabinets

@Old-gal24 Although I built the cabinets with wheels in mind It took a few weeks to get around to adding them. The wheels transformed the entire workshop/garage as I was able to skip all the hassle of manhandling them around whenever I needed them moved. The wheels are 45mm castors with breaks. I thoroughly recommend them as it really does make your workspace much more transformable when you need to reconfigure it for a certain project.

Apologies for the late reply. I have posted a comment update explaining why I have been absent the last couple months.

Once again, thank you.

Arcc
Having an Impact

@Mathy Thank you very much for your comment :wink:

Arcc
Having an Impact

@Cassy5 If you saw my progression of workbenches I have built you would laugh your head off of how basic the first one was. I will upload some pics here as soon as I finish cleaning the garage workspace (we have just moved into our new house). My first attempts at woodworking were very basic and not the prettiest to behold. I had few tools and no experience and so made it up as I went. It is, however, amazing how through experimenting with different techniques and learning as you go your work will get better. I use pallets as they are cheap to get and so mistakes are easily fixed and corrected (if you want to fix them as sometimes leaving in those mistakes helps give the pieces character). 

I hope your first project goes well and you get bitten fully by the woodworking bug. I love it.

I will be posting a few other pics of projects I worked on after the cabinet. One bit of advice I cannot stress enough. Sanding is your friend. Sand your projects well and that in itself can make it look a million dollars. Or you can sand a little less if you wish to keep more of the woods rustic look.

Arcc
Having an Impact

@Dj84 Thank you :wink: Apologies for late reply. 

Arcc
Having an Impact

Thank you very much. I had to teach myself how to do them. I havent had any wood work training so its all self taught. But yes I do love the joints....although some of them did give me grey hair.

Arcc
Having an Impact

@TroyG64 Thank you very much for your great words :wink:

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

@Arcc - you’re very welcome. Congrats on the arrival of your little one, although quite early, followed by an understandably very busy time. Kick back and enjoy 👍 cheers Deb :smile:

@gippslandhome I have a problem whenever I venture into my local bunnings. I enter at maybe midday and when I leave its after 3:00pm. I am positive that some sort of time space anomaly happens when I enter those doors because I lose 3 hours in the blink of an eye. Definitely some sort of wierd time-space warping I reckon. 

:smile: In all seriousness I do spend a lot of time in bunnings and it is without a doubt my favourite shop.I do like to look at all the tools that I have yet to collect but cannot afford just yet. But yes the collection is growing slowly.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are so thrilled for you @Arcc. Congratulations on the birth of your son. Enjoy this really special time with your family and the new house. We are pleased that we could help put a smile on your face and look forward to you being able to share more projects with us in the future - you obviously have a lot of talent to share.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Not a worry @Arcc .  I've been working on other projects in the garden and house.  Have far too many jobs on the go at the same time.  I'm a shocker for that.  Oh and congrats... it must be in the air, I gained  my 1st gran-baby almost 3 months ago now..  She a darling.. giving her mum & dad a hard time into the bargain. 

I'm procrastinating with my workbench as I've been drawing up new plans to add a fold up table at one end so that when I use my small saw bench it's level with the top of the table.  I don't want to have it there permanently, just when I need to saw longer length.  So I have the stability of the bench for larger bits of timber.  Other times it will sit under the bench.  I'm also in the process of making it the same height as my other workbench *(the one without wheels) so that if I need a bigger work surface I can roll it up next to it and clamp the legs together and go for it.

Thanks again for your input I greatly appreciated any advice I can get.  It's all a new learning curb for this old gal.. 

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects