Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber for a workbench benchtop?

RTDavis
Just Starting Out

What timber for a workbench benchtop?

I am looking for suitable timber to add as workshop bench top. The top will be screwed onto an existing cupboard. I require a piece of timber 2185 x 500/600 wide x 20 (or so) thickness. Has anyone got some suggestions?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Work Bench bench top

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RTDavis. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about workbench tops.

If you are happy with a softwood top, the ECOply 2400 x 1200 x 19mm CD Structural Plywood would be functional and close to your required thickness. If you could drop the thickness down to 17mm, you could go with Carter Holt Harvey FORMrite 2400 x 1200mm 17mm F14 Formply. The benefit would be you'll get a quite hard finish on the formply compared to the plywood. 

If you wanted a hardwood top, the Selex 2200x600x26mm Beech Laminated Worktop Panel and 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel could be options. 

Let me mention some members that have built their own workbenches @r23on, @JoeAzza, @tom_builds, @Razzer, @Baggs, @WoodenGregsWood, @Tara86 and @Nikki7 to see if they have some recommendations.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Razzer
Having an Impact

Re: What timber for a workbench benchtop?

@RTDavis 

Sorry for the delay. All work and no play.

I used formply on mine. Easier to clean mess from it and nothing sticks to it. I will be putting a a few builds up soon, just trying to finish them. They are a cupboard workbench and a mobile work bench. They may give you so ideas.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

@RTDavis 

I recently re did the top of my bench. I used a sheet of AraucoPly 2250x600x30mm bx deco plywood from Bunnings $62 all you would have to do is trim the end or let hang over and paint it if you want to harden it. I like it because its solid has a bit of weight and was the right size for me. JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see both @Razzer and @JDE make some helpful suggestions @RTDavis.

Have you had any luck deciding on what material you'll use?

Mitchell

golfer50
Just Starting Out

I have a similar question, but a little more specific. I have a pair of sawhorses - https://www.bunnings.com.au/toughbuilt-2-piece-sawhorse-and-jobsite-table_p5820831 which also double as a jobsite table with a couple of bits of 2 x 4. I'm trying to figure out what to use for the table. The gap between the two positions for the 2x4s is about 1000mm so I need something at least that deep. It's gotta be reasonably sturdy/thick but, it can't be too heavy. Any suggestions?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @golfer50

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about what workbench to use.

Based on the conditions you've laid out, I recommend using the 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel. I suggest pre-drilling the benchtops and using a cup head bolt and butterfly nut to keep the benchtops attached to the 2x4's while in use. Once you're done for the day, the bolt can be released and the workbench can be stored safely. 

The benchtop meets some of the conditions you've stated. It is sturdy enough for the worksite at 26mm and can take a bit of weight. It's light enough that you can still carry it to and from your vehicle without needing assistance. If cut in half and joined together to provide more depth, it will provide you with a working space of  1200mm x 1100mm. Which meets your size requirements. Please note that like all timber benchtops, I suggest sealing it with your choice of oil or varnish to protect it from moisture damage.

I've placed an image below on what it might look like, please tell me if you had another configuration in mind.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

weedoman
Just Starting Out

What did you draw that in? Looks great!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @weedoman

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

I'm using 3D software called Sketchup, it does have a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to draw simple to complex illustrations in no time. My colleague @MitchellMc uses a much more user-friendly version called Tinkercad. But don't let my description fool you, it is still capable of making complex illustrations at a much faster pace.

If you wish to have a kitchen or laundry plan drawn out, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to do the illustration for you.

Eric

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @RTDavis,

You need to fix your workbench to a wall, not a cupboard.

It needs to be solidly attached to structural elements, because you do not want the whole thing to move at all, especially when using a saw or chisels, if you are using that sort of thing.

Best way to do this is get some angle section steel, drill some holes in it to fix it to the studs in the wall behind your bench, you can then screw it to the wall over 4-5 studs, this will give you a really strong fixing.

Up to you, but you could also fit some angle section to the feet of your bench and fit some Dyna-bolts to the floor, just to stop any forward movement.

If you require any further advice, please by all means, let us know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects