Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cosmetic kitchen reno

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Cosmetic kitchen reno

We've been working on our kitchen over the last 6+ months. We managed to get the following done

Painting the cabinets,

Adding more cabinetry,

New appliances,

New benchtop

Painted the tile splashback

Added some trim to the cabinets (repainted)

So it's somewhat now 'complete' 

20210403_220155.jpg

20210403_220132.jpg

Before 

20200125_140659.jpg

20200125_140647.jpg

It's truly made cooking such a delight and the space feels much bigger and brighter 

Cheers all.

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Re: Cosmetic kitchen reno

Hi @Bianca2.

Thank you kindly for your feedback. I do think there are better ways to do this other than what I did but it's something to consider.

I used nails to attach the trims onto the doors with some glue as well. I then filled any gaps at the joints and sides with wood filler and sanded down everything before painted including the nail heads :(. It's a great way to make the cabinets pop but def tool a bit of effort.

All the best !

----
dm27
Finding My Feet

Love this @diy_hausdesigns 

I’m looking to add trim to my doors too. Did you have any problem with the trim adding to the thickness of the doors and them not opening properly? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dm27. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Hopefully, @diy_hausdesigns can answer your questions on their project.

Do you have a kitchen renovation project in the works? We'd love to hear all about it, and we'd encourage you to start a discussion if you have any questions or would like to share it with us. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our talented members contribute their projects here all the time. Make sure you check out our Top 10 most popular kitchen projects.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your project and providing any assistance needed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @dm27 

Thanks for asking. I noticed this on a couple of the doors too.

What I found helpful was selecting a thinner trim , sanding the edges down and adjusting the hinges We had upgrade our hinges, which  helped with adjusting them to allow for the new door thickness.

Kind regards 

----
Beginner-LyndaS
Finding My Feet

In new to this community.  How did you find painting the cabinets.  Have you had problems with the paint coming off? I have the same cabinets and tiles and very interested because I’ve been told not to do it.  Thanks in advance

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Beginner-LyndaS. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting cabinetry.

Painting cabinetry is now a proven technique that has been around for several years. You'll find many projects contributed by our members where they have successfully painted kitchen surfaces. I'm yet to come across any of them suggesting that they've had any issues. However, preparation is key to your paint bonding to the cabinetry. You need to clean down the cabinets with Sugar Soap before flushing with plain water. They can then be sanded to dull the gloss with 400-grit sandpaper. Once the surfaces have been prepared, you can prime them ready for the topcoat. After your paint is dry, you can add the clear coat for additional protection.

I'm sure @diy_hausdesigns will be pleased to fill you in on the details of their project, including how it's held up. We look forward to following along with your project, and please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Beginner-LyndaS. We're so pleased to have you join us.

I thought you might be interested in seeing other examples of low-cost makeovers from members in 10 kitchens transformed with paint.

Jason

ila109
Finding My Feet

Hi there! 

I love the updated cabinetry. I've been looking all over but where did you get the trims? I know you said they're hardwood but were they sourced from Bunnings? I'm trying to do something similar but also don't have a saw :unhappy:

Thanks in advance! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ila109. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this wonderful project.

Let me mention @diy_hausdesigns, so they are alerted to your questions. I suspect they've used either 40 x 12mm, 40 x 8mm or 35 x 4mm hardwood moulding for the trim. They would have cut the 45-degree angles into the ends. If you don't have a power saw, then you could make do with a Mitre Box & Saw Set. The trim would then be glued onto the front of the doors with something like Clear Liquid Nails.

I'm keen to assist further with your project. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects