Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedside table transformation

libby_hm
Building a Reputation

Bedside table transformation

With these bedsides I removed the 2 bottom drawers and runners and cut to size some plywood for a bottom shelf, I glued and nailed the Ply after it was sanded and then filled over the top and joins for a smooth finish, I sanded the top to expose the beautiful woodgrain and applied a liming white and polyacrylic to the top for a buttery smooth finish. I applied a primer, 3 coats of mineral furniture paint and finished with a wax to the painted areas,  and installed new gold hexagon shaped hardware. I absolutely love the satisfaction of completing a flip.

Doing what I can to accentuate the beautiful wood grain or feature and giving it a modern twist with some beautiful paint or stain.

inbound7399626808834844335.jpg

inbound7301224180868132984.jpg

inbound6725498335874459237.jpg

It also feels good about that I am hopefully contributing to less rubbish going to landfill unnecessarily.

@libbys_reawakened_furniture 

Akanksha
Projects Editor
Projects Editor

Re: Bedside table transformation

Congratulations on your upcycling project @libby_hm, those set of bedside tables are absolutely beautiful. I can tell you're passionate about upcycling, and that reflects on the quality of your work. 

Welcome aboard the Bunnings Workshop community! You'll find loads of creative D.I.Y. work and advice being shared here, including upcycled projects like yours. You can check out some amazing projects shared by our members in our Featured Projects page, and also gain some inspiring ideas from our Top Ideas section. I'd be happy to assist if you need a hand getting the most out of the site. 

Great work once again, and I look forward to seeing more of your creativity. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon ! @libby_hm 

"I sanded the top to expose the beautiful woodgrain"

Libby, can you talk more about the sanding technique?

There is a store near me (I can show you photos) with this sort of furniture with the tops beautifully exposed. I asked the sales girl how it was done but had no idea.

It almost looked like the tops had been through a large thicknesser?

Anyway - looks great - well done! 👍

libby_hm
Building a Reputation

Thank you :smile:

libby_hm
Building a Reputation

Hi Noyade,

I used my orbital sander with a grit of 120 and then worked up to a grit of 220 for a smooth finish. :smile:

Hope that helps,

If the top layer is particularly thick then paint stripper maybe requited. Feel free to send through a photo of said table if you like. :smile:

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Libby @libby_hm 

I took some photos. I was wrong - as usual - I thought an industrial thicknesser may have been involved but it's all sanded as you describe above. They sometimes use a belt sander.

Kudos to you - I hate sanding.

Yes, it's all restored old furniture and I thought some of the "raw" tops were just that, but they assured me there were three layers of varinsh, wax, etc.

20220726_120115.jpg20220726_120145.jpg20220726_120156.jpg20220726_120221.jpg20220726_120340.jpg20220726_120401.jpg20220726_120249.jpg

libby_hm
Building a Reputation

No problems,

Wow they are lovely pieces, you can tell there has been a lot of time and love put into them.

Definitely need protective coats om timber to protect and prevent any liquid stains ect.

:smile:

Hi, I have been away from my desk for a while. I just saw your bedside table and I wish it was mine. It makes mine look like the poor aunt. I did paint some old drawers but they don’t look like yours. Compliments to the chef. This is mine, now don’t laugh b

4C0160BD-1ED1-4DD0-B75A-B481E32560A5.jpeg

Thank you!

Amd Yours are lovely also, they compliment the room nicely! 😊

Jillda
Just Starting Out

Hello

Can you tell me which wax product you used over paint? The bedside drawers look amazing. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects