Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

SPP
Cultivating a Following

How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

Hi, 

I want to rip off my old MDF walls and place brand new VJ Panels onto the timber frame. 

From the videos I have seen, the timber frame needs to have a set spacing.

Can someone here explain why the timber frame needs to have set spacing. What if the spacing I have is not as per VJ Panel manufacturer specification. What can I do in this regard? 

Regards
Sree 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @SPP. We're excited to have you join us and hope you find the site a great resource for useful D.I.Y. advice and inspiring ideas.

Thanks for your question. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist as soon as he can. Let me tag our ever-helpful members @TheRenoDad@JoeAzza@lifestylebymari and @LePallet to see if they have any thoughts in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @SPP 

A warm welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: There are a bunch of questions and answers about VJ paneling. I have an old version on one wall that I need to replace and probarly shall with the new version :smile:

Any chance of a couple of pictures of tyhe wall/s you are refering to? Also the spacing of the frames are usually done to rule so they should match what the VJ paneling needs. (Even if you have built the wall yourself) Do you happen to know your spacing within the frame?

The only reason I can think that there is a required spaceing is so that there is structual support with no flexing of the paneling.

You could use a stud finder to find the studs before you remove the mdf if you dont know the spacing. If the studs are too far apart then you could add some more studs before installing the VJ panel.

One question that popped into mind, Is there a reason you are not installing the VJ paneling over the MDF? 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SPP 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding the installation of EasyVJ panels. Frame spacing is required when installing certain Easycraft panels. But all of this can be bypassed by installing directly over your existing MDF wall. This is on the condition that your wall is straight and does not have dips and bows on its surface.

Here are some amazing bedroom makeover projects using EasyVJ panels:

Here is a link to the Easycraft Installation brochure: Easycraft Installation Guide 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: EasyVJ Installation 

In regards to installing the panels directly to the timber frame of your house, I suggest having a look at page 6 of the installation guide. There are specific instructions on what to do when joining panels when there is no stud in the vicinity.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

SPP
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric. 

I am adding insulation and re-doing wiring so it doesn't make sense for me to place VJ Panels over the existing walls. 

SPP
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Dave. 

As mentioned in my reply to Eric I am re-doing the wiring and adding in some insulation so it doesn't make sense to use the previous walls. 

My plan was to get a pry bar and take off the current walls and see how far apart the studs are.20231220_073751.jpg 

In anycase, since I am adding insulation the current walls will have to come off. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @SPP 

Makes sense, one thing to throw in if you are removing the cover to that level, is to run in some network cable or run in some extra holes through the base plate if you have access to underneath the floor and a thick drawwire. I was think the wall might be plasterboard until I saw above the door and down the hall :smile: 

Looks like it will be a nice project to do and so nice to have modern outlets where you want them!

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SPP 

Thanks for sharing the extra details about your renovation project. Once you have you wall panels removed you'll have a much better idea of the wall studs spacing. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

SPP
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL

Thanks, I am having trouble removing the walls!  

I bought this item: 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-380mm-wrecking-bar_p5610547?store=8182&gad_source=1&gclid=Cjw... 

I am not sure why the walls are coming off, can you provide guidance? 

Regards
Sree 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @SPP 

The longer the bar the easier it will be is the way Id look at it, Your bar is only 380mm long, so you need a lot more effort applied. If you had a 600mm plus bar you will need a lot less effort. Think of a seasaw type pivet and shuffling the hinge point back and fourth. The longer the fulcrum (couldnt think of the word at first lol) the easier it will be. 

Have you checked your walls for asbestos? Just asking because you mentioned mdf and the photo of the wall makes me think its an older house. I was thinking Fibro style sheets. Prob its not and I am being over cautious but no harm in checking.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects