Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

TV unit made using leftover decking boards

ksd050
Building a Reputation

TV unit made using leftover decking boards

StevieB_1-1644183517499.jpeg

IMG_20220202_172225.jpg

I've had a photo of a tv unit like this on my phone for many years. It was about $1000 and was made with MDF with a hardwood veneer.

I knew I could beat the price making it myself so when a neighbour had some leftover spotted gum decking I jumped at the chance to give it a go.

I neglected to take build photos but the boards were all trimmed to remove the rounded edge on a table saw then a biscuit bit in a router was used to cut slots for #20 biscuits about every 25cm along the edges.

I glued up the top and sides separately as I had to work with lots of odd lengths of timber. The sides are 380mm the top is 1700mm each have 6 boards laminated together using biscuits, Titebond II and lots of clamps.

For the shelf and the base, I didn't have enough timber to do them all in decking boards so I just used a sheet of yellow tongue flooring with a strip of decking on the long sides which turned out looking great (plus you can't see them inside the cabinet anyway).

The door slats have tenons cut using a dado stack and slip into a corresponding grove cut in the door frames.

The doors slide on small aluminium angle strips with a thin grove cut into the top and bottom of each door. I was planning on putting a strip of HDPE plastic in the grove but the doors slide so well as is I didn't see the need at this point. I can always do it later if they begin to stick.

Everything was dry sanded down to 240 grit before I applied a coat of Monocel Timber Benchtop Oil. The second coat was applied using 1000 grit wet/dry sand paper to give it a mirror finish.

Now all that's left to do is get the old one off the wall and put this pride of place under the big telly.

IMG_20220202_172315.jpg

IMG_20220202_172247.jpg

IMG_20220202_172348.jpg

IMG_20220202_172238.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: TV unit from left over decking boards

Hello @ksd050

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful TV unit. What a fantastic piece of woodwork. The way you've joined the decking boards are flawless. If you were casually looking at it, you would think that it was made of a single piece of timber. Did you use the same material for the feet?

The sliding front panels look great, it must have taken a while to do all those tenons. Would it be possible to request for a close-up shot of that part of your cabinet so our members can see the details of the sliding panels? If you hadn't mentioned your shelving material, I would have never known that it was yellow tongue.

Can we please request for pictures of the TV unit once you have set it up in your house? I'm sure our members would be keen to see what it looks like once it's in place. 

Again, thank you for sharing your TV unit project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Re: TV unit made using leftover decking boards

Came up a treat :smile:   Well done :smile:

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Gorgeous job @ksd050 

I am with @EricL, you will have to update us with a photo of it under your TV!

Katie

ksd050
Building a Reputation

Alright tv unit is in and looking great!

IMG_20220205_164955.jpg

 To answer some questions. The feet were made from merbau as that's all I could find that was a close colour match

IMG_20220203_085024.jpg

IMG_20220203_084951.jpg

 Here's what the runners look like close up

IMG_20220203_083052.jpg

And here's a shot of the back with the shelf supports and cutouts for cables

IMG_20220203_083020.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You must be very proud of your lovely results there @ksd050. It looks sensational.

Many thanks for the additional images and description. Looking forward to your next project.

Mitchell

KevinMall
Making a Splash

Well done great work.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects