Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tallboy transformation for under $40

Ranya
Building a Reputation

Tallboy transformation for under $40

This is the afterThis is the after

I found this tallboy on the side of the road on a rainy evening. I was able to see the potential straight away, I picked it up, took it home and got to work!

Here is how I achieved this transformation: 

- I cleaned the piece thoroughly using Selleys sugar soap

- Made a some repairs using wood glue, filled in gaps using (my personal favorite) wood filler from Timber mate

- Sanded the entire tallboy back to raw wood using my ryobi orbital sander

- I then rolled on 3 X coats of B.I.N shellac primer to prevent any bleed through my white paint later

- Painted the body of the tallboy with 2 X coats of Rust-Oleum chalked paint in the colour linen white

- Cleaned and painted the hardware with Whit-knight spray paint in colours gold and black

- Attached the hardware back on and sealed the entire piece with natural bees wax.

The tallboy found its new home hours upon its completion which made me so happy, especially that it was about to go to landfill when I found it! 

IMG_4264.jpgAnd here is the beforeAnd here is the beforeside tallboy.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Tallboy transformation for under $40

Hi @Ranya,

First, let me welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community. It is wonderful to have you join us and share your tallboy upcycle project. You'll find that the community is filled with inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. Your tallboy transformation is so stunning, it may make it into our top 10 most popular indoor furniture projects one day.

You have done such a fantastic job upcycling this unwanted tallboy. I saw that one existing handle was missing and you cleverly changed the top two and no one would know any different! How did you do the side of the drawers? Did you attach a stencil and paint or use spray paint perhaps?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ranya
Building a Reputation

Hi Katie,

Thank you so much for you kind and encouraging words, I really appreciate it!

To create the pattern on the side of the drawers I used a stencil (secured with painters tape) and applied small amounts of paint at a time using a flat stencilling brush. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Ranya

Nicely done! The stencil you chose suits your tallboy perfectly. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects