Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which paint to use on timber floor?

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Which paint to use on timber floor?

Hi

I have a timber floor in a bedroom that was painted previously with water based paint, I now want to repaint it , using a water based semi gloss or low sheen paint. Has anyone done this before, if so what paint could I use, I want to paint it black.

I was thinking of using a door and trim paint  which is a hard wearing paint, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

We are currently in lockdown so I can't go to a store and discuss it with the paint experts.

Thank you.

JoeAzza_0-1629506024545.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which paint to use on timber floor

Hi @JoeAzza,

I'd suggest you go for a dedicated floor paint as opposed to a door or trim paint. I've reached out to Dulux to enquiry about their trim and door paint Aquanamel, and they definitely don't recommend it for floors. They've recommended Perfect Floor by Porter's. It appears that we can achieve a fairly black colour by tinting it. This would be a special order product, though.

We do stock Feast Watson 4L Satin Timber Floor Paint. Unfortunately, black can not be achieved in that paint, and the closest would be charcoal.

If the paint used here is trim and door paint, and you've seen reasonable longevity, then that would suggest you could use it again. Just make sure you clean the floor thoroughly with Sugar Soap and rinse it off before you paint.

Let me mention @ProjectPete to see if he has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you .@MitchellMc

I had a look at Porters, Perfect Floor, this is probably what I will go with

Porters - Affogato.

JoeAzza_0-1629535419803.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds great, @JoeAzza! Makes sure you take some before and after pics as we would love to see the transformation.

Mitchell

Finally finished painting my timber floor, I ended up using Haymes premium , exterior low sheen extra dark tint, Black paint

IMG_2142.JPG

DLBZ2980.JPGIMG_1202.JPGIMG_1205.JPGIMG_1215.JPGIMG_2131.JPGIMG_2135.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which paint to use on timber floor?

That looks stunning @JoeAzza

I'll be interested in hearing the long-term results of using an exterior acrylic instead of a dedicated floor paint. If it holds up, that would certainly open up more possibilities colour selection wise. You'll need to keep us updated.

Many thanks for sharing your finished project. I trust you're super excited with the results.

Mitchell

Re: Which paint to use on timber floor?

Thank you @MitchellMc, for extra protection , I have ordered a large rug to help reduce wear on the the painted floor.

Jo_Lake
Growing in Experience

@JoeAzza,

How's it holding up a few years on? I'm about to paint some wooden floors and am after ideas for the best (but also not too expensive) product...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jo_Lake,

Hopefully, @JoeAzza can get back to us on the longevity of their paint job. I'd suggest you take a look at Feast Watson 4L Ultra Deep Base Satin Timber Floor Paint for your project.

Mitchell

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Jo_Lake , and  @MitchellMc the floor is holding up really good, however not a high traffic area, At first I didn’t like the black colour, my grandson chose the colour, I now love the black, I decided to do another room the same colour, also not high traffic area, a large rug helps minimise the wear. It was not expensive to do, just wash sand patch nail hole and paint. Approx cost of pain under $90 for 4trs.

This is the second room that was done with black satin floor.

image.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects