Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Feature fences

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Feature fences

Now I've done 4 different types of feature fencing in recent times, I thought I'd pop them all into one post to hopefully give some creative inspiration.

Some options are more challenging than others but all are within a DIYer's reach. 

Hope you enjoy.

IMG_20200919_131822_544.jpg

IMG_20200919_131822_542.jpg

IMG_20200919_131822_543.jpg

IMG-20200919-WA0001.jpg

IMG_20200919_131822_545.jpg

IMG_20200919_131822_553.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Feature fences

Simply outstanding Pete (@ProjectPete)! 

You've really nailed every visual element there perfectly. The warmth of the timber versus the stark contrasting white walls is amazing. Even with your well above average D.I.Y. skills I am still impressed you've pulled this off.

I'm sure that you'll have many members asking about how they too can achieve a similar result.

Congratulations and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jonathan_adolph
Getting Established

Hi Pete, 

These look great! I am looking at potentially using Axon Cladding to dress up my colorbond fence. At this stage, I believe I will need to build a separate treated timber frame in front of the fence so that the fence does not carry the load of the cladding. I've been looking for someone who has completed something similar and your work here seems close. Would you be able to share a bit more about your process and any potential tips?

Thanks, 

Jonathan 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jonathan_adolph. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Let me mention @ProjectPete so he is alerted to your question as I trust he would be happy to provide some more information and some tips.

We look forward to hearing more about your project and we'd encourage you to let us know if you need assistance with it or would like to share with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration, just like this fantastic project, within the community as our creative members are sharing their work here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

You're right @jonathan_adolph, you need to started with a timber (H3 pine) frame.

Generally the 70x35mm timber frame is best as it's strong and sturdy, preventing any flex from the cladding itself. There is 50x25mm but generally isn't sufficient for this type of cladding to be installed.

Waterproof the lengths being fixed along the bottom of the fence so they're protected.

Then it's a case of fixing the timber frame to the Colorbond frame (never the sheets) and installing per the James Hardie guide re centres, noggins, etc.

----------
Handy and helpful
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

This is incredible. You really created a unique space there. Love the colour palette and the overall design!

Nice job @ProjectPete 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Thanks very much @diy_hausdesigns - it's all coming together nicely. Currently planning my cabana for the corner. Looking to use breeze blocks, timber frame, the same Merbau cladding for the roof allowing the light to shine through, concrete bench seating, etc.

----------
Handy and helpful

That sounds good and complementary to your work so far. Can't wait to see it ! 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

@ProjectPete thanks so much for the advice! Really helps! Hoping to get started sometime soon!

Thanks again! Jonathan 

No worries @jonathan_adolph and feel free to reach out with questions any time.

Example of frame for the shiplap style cladding.

frame.png

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects