Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Large outdoor bench seat, with storage and a side planter box/esky

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Large outdoor bench seat, with storage and a side planter box/esky

B74DF808-3D35-4381-8C5B-ADC78490C799.jpegAll materials are recycled and Have been made into this large outdoor bench seat measuring at 2.3m long, 750mm high, 800mmm wide with the choice of a low table for entertainment 

7CC41978-3FA2-40BD-95DF-538E080F04E9.jpeg

172FA144-F3DA-4F30-838F-B21A443E78FC.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Large outdoor bench seat, with storage and a side planter box/esky

Hi @LePallet,

A fantastic project as always! Was it made from pallets or other recycled timbers?

Many thanks for sharing and we look forward to seeing what you'll build next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @LePallet 

Amazing work as usual! Can i request for sizes and number of pallets that you used for this latest creation.

Thanks!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Ange4
Just Starting Out

Hi, Is the pallet wood treated? I didn't think it was. So this bench seat will rot if I put it in my garden right?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ange4. It's splendid to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Let me mention @LePallet so he can give you the specifics on his project.

Most pallets used domestically within Australia are not preserved with chemicals. From my experience, pine pallet boards used out in the weather take many years to decay. It's a great idea to raise them off the ground, so they are not in constant contact with moisture. You can also apply an outdoor oil if you'd like to add to their lifespan.

We look forward to hearing about the projects around your house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need help or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our amazing members share their projects all the time.

Mitchell

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hi there @redracer01 and very much appreciated 

the sizing of the timber is 120mm wide, 

it you count the number of timber’s used for the height, then look at the overall length. That should give you a rough idea how many lengths of timber you will need for that section and so on.

I hope that helps.

I am lucky enough to have good source for this recycled timber so I’m not actually breaking down pallets but In saying that, this most definitely can still be achieved using pallets @Ange4  

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

This timber I’m using is HT which stands for heat treated. It hasn’t got as many chemicals compared to treated pine, but what I do know is this has no disadvantage with the timber being outdoors permanently. This timber as well as pallet timber are designed to last all weather all year round and it depends on how well you treat the timber with care such as maintaining it using outdoor oil which will help keep its look and colour.

But like all timber it does weather and brown. But rot is unlikely if looked after and off the ground. 
Just think about the last pallet you seen maybe on the ground in a paddock, how many years it’s lasted not treated and it’s still all in tact by nails. Weathered on the outside but once you cut into the timber, it’s a majority of the time clean inside 

@Ange4 

gannugood
Getting Established

Hi, Looks great. 

What is the thickness of the timber? I am planning to build a planter box and thinking of 19mm or 22mm. The planer box will be undercover, but can get some rain when accompanied by wind. The Box will also be painted. I finding it hard to find this at Bunnings. Can some one assist with product numbers?

THanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gannugood

Thank you for sharing your question about the planter box. Let me tag @LePallet to make them aware of your question. The materials used were from mixed recycled pallets and I suspect their timber thickness will range from 16mm to 25mm. If you were to use a uniform sized timber, I suggest using 90 x 19mm 5.7m Decking Merbau SpecRite Pre Oiled FJ KD Select. Depending on what interior wood you are using for framing. Remember to keep in mind that the screws you use must be galvanized or coated and rated for outside.

Have a look at these wonderful garden bed creations shared by our workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions regarding your project, please let us know.  

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects