Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you replace tiles without damaging waterproofing?

Stitchfinger
Just Starting Out

How do you replace tiles without damaging waterproofing?

63007EBE-0869-48E9-9BF6-C4BBF738133F.jpeg

21A8D8CC-801E-4896-BC08-4AC8CC06D558.jpeg

 Hi all,

I’m in the process of renovating my bathroom. This is the final week of the Reno, but I just realised the shades of my bathroom wall tile is different, The tiler and I both didn’t check the codes of the tile, and the tiler laid the different batch of the same tile on the wall. 

The builder said they will remove the tiles and patch up waterproofing and relaid the correct tile. My concern is if they do that, it will most likely damage the waterproofing in the shower area (photo 2: Two tiles near the Niche). Is the waterproofing going to work for a major wet area?

This is a lesson learned for my first Reno, I should have check the tile. Please let me know if there is any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do you replace tiles without damaging waterproofing?

Hi @Stitchfinger 

Sorry to hear about you situation. It would be fustrating to realise what has happened.

A waterproofing barrier is a designed to be a single membrane protecting the building components behind it from moisture penetration particularly in shower areas. Any cuts, rips or damage (even during its application) to it greatly reduces its capacity to do this effectively which can easily lead to many other issues beyond just water ingress. It's something I personally would not consider as appropriate.

I'm hoping someone in the community has some advice on how else to proceed.

Kind regards 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Stitchfinger

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about waterproofing.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid the odds of removing the tiles without damaging the waterproofing are very low. However, patching the damaged area is possible, but I'm not sure the person who originally waterproofed the area will still cover it under warranty. 

Ideally, waterproofing is done as a single application so that it cures as a single solid piece. In this instance, you have the brand of waterproofing applied to your bathroom. This is a plus as patching it with the same type of waterproofing means that it will be compatible.

If there are a great number of tiles to be removed, I believe that it's better to remove them all and put on a new coat of waterproofing.

Let me call on our experienced members @ProjectPete and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I didn't even notice till you pointed it out. They look great and so does the pattern. Just tell everyone that's how they're supposed to look. 👍

Funny you said this because I didn’t notice it until my partner point it out the tiles are different shades!! I can’t unseen it now lol

There are 2 pieces of tile (yellow cross) in the shower area need to be removed, and the redline indicates where the waterproofing ends 

E1F049B4-151B-499B-83DD-1AC13807B850.jpeg

The tiler actually did the waterproofing, so I want check with them regarding warranty. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Stitchfinger

If only two are being taken off perhaps your tiler will be able to remove them without too much damage to the waterproofing. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tile wall repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects