Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Planter stands

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Planter stands

PlanterStands.jpegAfter being inspired by  @joineryjo  planter stands, I decided to make my own similar/same as  @joineryjo .

The only difference is that I used Tasmanian Oak, DAR, 32x32 mm  for the legs and 42x19mm for the cross sections.

I also cut my own mortise and tenon, instead of screws, all the joints were glued with a water proof glue (Titebond 3), and added a slight taper to the bottom part of each leg, to do this I made a small taper jig for my table saw. For the cross sections, I cut the middle section out using a pull saw and chisel, however, I then set up my drop saw at the depth required and cut the rest that way, much easier and more accurate. The mortise and tenon's on each leg were cut on on my router table.

I have also made a third stand, however, not yet assembled, I need to buy the pot for it, this stand is slightly wider, the others will fit a 200mm dia pot, the third one will take a 250mm dia pot.

Please see photo's attached.

I would like to thank  @joineryjo  for the inspiration, hopefully someone else in the workshop community will be inspired to do the

same.

IMG_8198.JPGIMG_8198.JPGIMG_8199 - Copy - Copy.JPGIMG_8200 - Copy - Copy.JPGIMG_8204 - Copy.JPGIMG_8206 - Copy - Copy.JPGIMG_8207.JPGIMG_8208 - Copy - Copy.JPGIMG_8209 - Copy - Copy.JPGIMG_8210 - Copy.JPGIMG_8212 - Copy - Copy.JPGIMG_8213 - Copy - Copy.JPGIMG_8215 - Copy - Copy.JPGIMG_8216 - Copy.JPGIMG_8217.JPGIMG_8225.JPGIMG_8226.JPGIMG_8228.JPGIMG_8230.JPGIMG_8232.JPGIMG_8234.JPGIMG_8250.JPGIMG_8251.JPGIMG_8257.JPGIMG_8264.JPGIMG_8266.JPGIMG_8276.JPGIMG_8277.JPGIMG_8278.JPGIMG_8280.JPGIMG_8281.JPGIMG_8285.JPGIMG_8289.JPGIMG_8292.JPGIMG_8293.JPG

Community manager's note: Want to build your own plant stand? Experienced Bunnings Workshop member @JoeAzza has shared a full step-by-step guide How to build a planter stand with a full list of tools and materials required.  

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Planter Stands

Well done @JoeAzza. The tapered legs are a nice variation on @joineryjo's original design. What have you got planted in your pots? The Tasmanian Oak really picks up on the lighter spots on the foliage. Thanks for sharing all your progress photos too. I know it makes it seem less daunting when you can see the project broken up into smaller steps.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
joineryjo
Having an Impact

@JoeAzzagosh they look fantastic! Well done! And lovely use of that Tasmanian oak! I’ll admit it cost me $8 for all materials to make mine so I definitely went the budget route lol. Thanks so much for sharing!! 

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you Jane .@JaneK the plants are, I think the green one is "Sansevieria Trifasciata, the yellow / green one is I think they are called "Mother In Laws Tongue" (not sure if this one is correct, there was no label on the plant) I got them because I was told that they need little water.

@joineryjo  , thank you, I decided to use Tassie oak, one length of 32x32x1800 costs approx $21, I used 3 lengths for the two stands and 1 length of 42x19x 1800 mm for the cross sections, not sure on price, I already had some.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Planter stands

Nice work @JoeAzza !

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @JoeAzza for constructing such a fabulous plant stand and for sharing plenty of detail so that others can also get plenty of help and inspiration. Well done also to @joineryjo for creating the spark.

Looking forward to seeing other member creations...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vica
Having an Impact

@JoeAzza Well done! Thank you so much for sharing!

Vica

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Wow !!!!! Love them @JoeAzza  and perfect selection of indoor plants 🌿💚

Well done c@JoeAzza 

Simple design & variation in height with  great timber grain & brought together with some classic woodworking joints! Perfecto. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects