Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where is everyone sourcing untreated timber for furniture?

dragonfly
Getting Established

Where is everyone sourcing untreated timber for furniture?

In particular 140 x 45 untreated pine & 90 x 90 untreated pine. I think the 90 x 45 untreated structural pine is ok for indoor use which I can source at local bunnings but not the other 2? Everywhere seems to be sold out. Hello timber shortage crisis. 

Also are 90 x 90 posts the way to go for a loft bed with double mattress or will 90 x 45 suffice? Not sure how to calculate the max weight capacity. Would appreciate any help.

Thank so much in advance. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where is everyone sourcing untreated timber for furniture?

Not sure about the white powder Graeme @Noyade. Have you seen this powder regularly on H2 timber, or was it just this one piece? I'm unaware that a white powder is part of the treatment process. Commonly, the timber is placed in a vacuum chamber and the air evacuated. The liquid/gas treatment is then pumped in under pressure, ensuring it penetrates thoroughly into the timber.

If this white powder is something you've seen regularly, then I'd be happy to follow up with our supplier for further information.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

No, not regularly seen. Just once.

Possibly some gyprock contamination then?

Thanks Mitchell.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It does look suspiciously like Plaster @Noyade. However, it appears quite powdery. Plaster crumbles into little chunks when damaged, but this white substance seems very fine.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects